classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

bakelite steering wheel hub
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: bakelite steering wheel hub Reply with quote

Can anyone help me with dismantling my steering wheel boss?
It is on my 35 Hillman Aero Minx but I know it is not the original.
It is a bakelite boss with a centre horn button and chrome indicator lever.
I am reluctant to start prising it apart until I know how it should come apart for fear of cracking it.
Any help would be useful
Thanks
Tim
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boss is ually fastened to a stator tube down which the cables run unimpeded. The is usually a clamp (and sometimes and oik seal) at the bottom of the column/steering box which mts be slakened off and the the tube and buttin/swtich just pulls out sometimes via the the sun-roof. The button can then be dismatntled - renew all the cables with modern thinwall PVC HD cable
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

A photo might help identify it. Things to look for are grub screws set into the boss and the clamp at the point where the wires come out of the steering box. If there is no sign of a grub screw then it's possible the horn / indicator switch assembly is only retained by the clamp on the steering box.

You will need to mark the wires and disconnect them then slacken the clamp and then withdraw the horn/indicator switch assembly complete with the long tube that passes down inside the steering column.

After that you will probably find a circlip or nut retaining the wheel itself.

Peter
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
Forgive me my rudeness. thank you for your helpful reply. I did read it when you posted it but got sidetracked before I had replied. I have been distracted by the purchase of yet another 'restoration project' part of which looks like a pre war aston steeing wheel that I may now get restored.
thanks again
Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: