classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1974 Ford D0910 CustomCab Rescue Truck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Stordal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: 1974 Ford D0910 CustomCab Rescue Truck Reply with quote

Hello there!

Some weeks back, whilst at work, I saw this truck in the back-yard at one of my customers home. We started talking about it, and after a while I had almost bought it.

The truck is a 1974 Ford D0910 CustomCab, built as a rescue truck. It's been standing in the yard for a few years now (since 2006), and is quite rusty. However, the engine and the gearbox is quite good. The engine is a 130 hp diesel (do not know manufactor, cc or what truck it came from), totally renovated after about 20,000 km due to a broken oil sump and installed in the Ford, and the gearbox is 6 speed (probably from the same truck as the engine). The original is 100 hp engine and 4 speed box. The truck has gone 140,000 km on the clock.

As far as the owner could tell, there is no dangerous rust on the main frame of the truck, and the cabin had been rust-protected a few years before he stopped using it (2002 or so). But that protection-work was not very good (see pictures below). The REAL rust-problems are back on the platform (could someone please give me a more suitable word?), more precisely the platform-mountings and the two storage-rooms on the sides.

The platform itself is welded onto the trucks main frame, and it's therefore not possible to tilt it. So to get a car up on the platform, you'll have to manually pull out the two loading ramps and then winch the car up. You can also put a car behind the platform; You park the front-wheels (or back) in some kind of a steel-frame, and pull with only two of the wheels in the ground. Integrated in the platform is also a crane. At the top of the crane there can be mounted a caster (?), for the use of pulling a 2nd car with a destroyed front up in the steel-construction at the back. As you rise the crane, a support-leg lowers onto the ground (possibly rising the whole back of the truck), to secure the truck while pulling something heavy out of the woods or something Laughing The winch and all the other heavy duty equipment are hydraulic-powered by a on-board hydraulic pump connected to the gearbox (wich is faulty at the moment..)

I think the pictures can tell the rest of the history for this truck Smile

I do not have any enormous plans regarding the truck; I'm planning to fix it up and make it as good as new, including new paint, new loading ramps and probably a new winch wire, and then maybe mount a few extras such as a heavy-duty electric winch in the front.

Blablabla loads of text. Now, over to the fun part!
These pictures are all taken in the yard of the guy who got the truck, and he did not tidy it a bit before I took these. So I'm sorry for the bad quality. More will come when I get this truck home!
Please click each picture to enlarge!

And no, I am not a expert regarding trucks (I know that this one has got 6 wheels and 3 seats Laughing ), so please forgive me if I'm incorrect.

Feel free to ask and/or comment Smile

Thanks for reading!
-Per

Last edited by Stordal on Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
pryantcc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Per! I love the styling. Good luck with the project, there's plenty there to keep you busy!!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll be handy if you ever buy any non-running cars in the future!! Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Stordal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pryantcc wrote:
Looks great Per! I love the styling. Good luck with the project, there's plenty there to keep you busy!!

Thanks! The styling as in the blue/gold paint-job? No, I don't think I'll get bored this summer Laughing

Rick wrote:
That'll be handy if you ever buy any non-running cars in the future!! Smile

R

Rick, you got it aaaall wrong! It's not "if I'll ever buy a non-running car", it's "when I buy a non-running wreck" or something Smile
And when all my mates do so as well.. Neutral

-Per
pryantcc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stordal wrote:
pryantcc wrote:

Thanks! The styling as in the blue/gold paint-job? No, I don't think I'll get bored this summer Laughing

-Per

I like the shape of the cab, the chrome details combined with the sun shade, the mirrors and the exhaust pipe! I think it looks very cool, like the guys who used it really cared about the appearance as much as the functionality!
Stordal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not really had the time to sit by the computer the last weeks, so sorry for no updates.

4 days ago we drove the truck from the "scrapyard" and a little bit closer to home! The engine fired at the third or fourth round, just had to plug in a battery! So I'm very satisfied with the engine Very Happy
Had to fix a brake-pipe wich had a rust-hole in it. Just took some random rubberhose, sawed of the broken part and mended it with the hose. The handbrake loosened as it was used yesterday, and no brakes were completely stuck (they just "hang" a bit in the start)

It was a very pleasant drive home (about 40 mins), and all of the lights (yes, all of them!) were working as they should, brakes were good, power steering good, eninge/gearbox good!
We had one problem though.. After filling diesel, the starter would not kick in. So we put in another battery, and then it started. So I do not think the alternator is working 100%..

And then it's the milliondollarquestion - where to start? Shocked Razz
I'm going to the UK next week (leaving this Saturnday) to buy a winch, towing straps and some other stuff to the truck, as a combined vacation/shopping-trip Smile

I'll add some more pictures Smile

Please feel free to ask and/or comment the pictures as well!

Thanks for reading!
-Per
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it could be a very useful truck, especially if you continue to buy old vehicles needing work Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: