classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

V5 question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
fordf350camper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: V5 question Reply with quote

If you buy a car that has had the number plate sold.Then the car was given a age related number.But you dont know the number as the owner cannot find the v5 or there are no number plates.Can DVLA find the reg with the chassis number.Or will it have to be re registered.Thanks
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what make but with a Jaguar the chassis number can get you a heritage certificate with the selling dealer's details, the first owner, and the original number. Maybe this applies to other makes?
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest trying an owners club first - often these hold details of models, chassis numbers etc. As Lowdrag says depending on the make it may be possible to get more details from the manufacturer's archivists etc.
Personally I am always nervous of vehicles without some sort of data even if it is evidence of a number that has been transferred. We are not talking of a certain Austin currently on Ebay are we?
Paul
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: V5 question Reply with quote

fordf350camper wrote:
If you buy a car that has had the number plate sold.Then the car was given a age related number.But you dont know the number as the owner cannot find the v5 or there are no number plates.Can DVLA find the reg with the chassis number.Or will it have to be re registered.Thanks

Does the owner remember what the original number was? If so I would think that DVLA could track the age related number.
fordf350camper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi the owner now didnt even know it had lost the original reg untill i did a number plate search.He do not have a v5.I thought DVLA would no if they transfered the original number they would have it on record what new reg they gave the old car.Thanks
Scotty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe if the DVLA have replaced a reg number on a car that had its "original" registration sold on then they should be able to find the replacement reg number from the vehicle's chassis number, which would have been required during their re-registering process.

It also could be that even though there's no trace of the original number on the DVLA database of registration numbers, that doesn't mean the original has been transferred. It may be the DVLA was never notified of the vehicles existence when we all had to go through their obligatory vehicle updating process a number of years ago. Quite a few slipped through because owners didn't bother or didn't realise, so to this day registration numbers are still unaccounted for.
As I understand it unaccounted for reg numbers as not issued as a matter of course and only attract DVLA attention if they are asked if a specific number still exists. The DVLA then writes to the last registered owner asking them to complete a form as to the current ownership and if the vehicle still exists i.e. had it been scrapped, etc.

Write them a letter explaining the problem, including as many of the vehicle's ID numbers as you can find, but in particular chassis and engine number. Gearbox number would be good, but unless its easily available then start with the two previous ID numbers I've mentioned.

Please be aware, there may be a cost implication from the DVLA to do that search.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: