classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ashover Car Show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Show News, Reports, Press Releases & Photographs
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Ashover Car Show. Reply with quote

As mentioned before elsewhere on the Forum the venue at Ashover has been abandoned this year. Reputedly because the Local Council imposed much red tape and H & S issues.

I have been told on good authority (but I have not seen it in print) that an alternative venue has been found.

I was informed that the intended Venue is Renishaw Hall between Juction 30 of the M1 and Eckington after passing through Renishaw, on the 1st of August. The Title seems now to be "The Vintage Austin Rally", but all Classics have always been welcome.

Just thought someone might like to know.

Jim.

Last edited by Jim.Walker on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
The_Boy_Richie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim

I posted about Ashover as I'd read the news in CMM a few months ago.
I'm pretty sure it was always billed as the Austin Vintage rally as one of the guys in my club has a 7 tourer and had recommended it to me probably 10 years ago.

Thanks for the info. Ill keep my eyes open for any more details. It will be difficult to beat the Ashover venue though. It was beautiful. Crying or Very sad
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful might not be the right word for Renishaw Hall, but it IS impressive and has lots of well mown grassland, as well as purpose built visitor toilets and restaurant.

The Local Rotary Club hold an annual classic car show there every year for charity. It is unusual in that it is an evening show always on a Wednesday evening. Well worth a visit if anyone lives close enough.

I am not sure of the date this year, but when I find out I will post the details here for anyone interested.

Jim.
The_Boy_Richie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A world away from Ashover then. The catering facilities were provided by the WI in a canvas marquee and the local brass band provided the background music. It was like stepping back in time.

I wonder if there are any other shows still around like that one?
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

The Renishaw Hall Wednesday evening classic car & bike show is on June 9th. I went last year and was surprised at the number (several hundred) and variety of cars there from a pre-war Riley to a virtually new Lamborghini. You need to get there early, i.e. around 4pm, to park in front of the house, otherwise it's pot luck.

If the new show there is half as good as Ashover was it'll be well worth a visit. Is the August 1 date confirmed as the show doesn't appear on the Renishaw Hall website: http://www.sitwell.co.uk/calendar.php We're intending to get some local Rileys to attend.

David
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riley541 wrote:
Jim,

Is the August 1 date confirmed as the show doesn't appear on the Renishaw Hall website: http://www.sitwell.co.uk/calendar.php We're intending to get some local Rileys to attend.

David

I'm afraid my information is not official David, but the bloke who told me is usually a reliable source.
I am trying to verify it myself.

Jim.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More information David,
The Vintage Austin Register gives the date as the 1st of August at Renishaw Hall. As you say there is no mention of it on the Sitwell website.

For anyone doubtful about where Renishaw Hall is - from Junction 30 of the M1 it is about 2 miles (West) along the A6135 towards Sheffield.

Jim.

Last edited by Jim.Walker on Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim - we'll be there in Riley Blue (look for a pale blue '63 1.5) and hopefully several other Rileys will be present too.

David
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little late this, but it seems that there will not be any autojumble stalls at the new venue for the late Ashover Show (Aug 1st). Though there will be a stand (or two) with Austin parts.

Pity that! I must confess I spent much more time searching the stalls for bargains than I did admiring the cars. But then I have always been more interested in my own cars and motorbikes than other peoples except perhaps technically.

Jim.

P.S. Can't make it this year anyway. I am leading a classic motorbike run to the Anderton Boat Lift (about 200 miles all in) on my 1959 Triumph 5TA.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out about no autojumble being there - a real shame as that was the main attraction for me too so I might give it a miss, depends how I feel in the morning. Have a good day out on your bike Jim.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame about this show we been going to Ashover for years only for the autojumble even though the actual site was far from ideal in the many wet summers of the recent past. The was aslo a a good car display too

Denet AJ's are becoming very scarse these days even the A7 Wollaton Autokrana show is not as good as it was and Ebay cannot satisfy all requiremenst espeacially teh rummaging through piles of what looks like junk and finding the rare pece you have wanted for years for peanuts
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Show News, Reports, Press Releases & Photographs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: