classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Don't read this!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Don't read this!!! Reply with quote

I was having a surf on the internet and had a look at the **** forum. I read this thread and this posting made me a bit more stupid, (not hard)
" ******: 12
If you mean that the problem is no different with and without the vacuum unit attached then that is an issue. The balance weights in the distributor increase the advance with increasing revs, the vacuum unit increases the advance when you put your foot hard down at low revs. By doing this you open the throttle butterflies, the pumping action of the engine draws in more air/fuel mixture and creates a vacuum in the inlet manifold. This should advance the timing by sucking the vacuum advance unit which is attached mechanically to the distributor base plate. If the unit is working then the pipe or the connector to the manifold might be leaking air. As I posted previously, there is no substitute for setting a B series engine up on a rolling road - you will soon save the cost in better fuel consumption."
I would go through it point by point but I can't be *rsed. This guy is one of their PLATINUM posters. Oh dear.
Dax Rush
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is all the wrong way round Nic!
When you slam the throttle open the manifold vacuum COLLAPSES and the vacuum ignition unit RETARDS. Only with the throttle closed, or partly closed at higher revs will the vacuum unit advance the ignition.
Generally the vacuum unit has little effect on power performance (in fact lots of motorbikes do not even have them), but aids fuel economy at steady cruising speeds.

Edit: Sorry Nic. Your posting is not very clear at the beginning. Reading it again, I realise now you are quoting someone else. I thought the initial part of this thread had been deleted and you were answering it!

Apologies, Jim.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim, I don't think I am that stupid, err, ask my ex-wife. Maybe I am? She thought the only reason I wear a watch is to know which is my left hand, OK she was right on that one. Wink
Dax Rush
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: