classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

420G Projects - order of works
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Car-Nut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: 420G Projects - order of works Reply with quote

In my project below my E was\is a very much a work in progress project which I fettle, polish, drive and show.

My next project which is looking like the powder blue 420G on the 420G forum. Will be the biggest project Ive ever taken on Shocked . I will certainly be picking a lot of people brains not just the Marque and Model owners but other Restoration enthusiasts.

My first Question is, is there a correct order for stripping them down before the bodywork is touched.

All tips and advice welcome, Ive read Amigos thread and a few others on the forum. But any valuable knowledge from the "old skool" restoration guys appreciated Smile

'70 420G - 17th from last RHD
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to keep them on their wheels for as long as possible. I do the engine first as it seems to make a lot of progress quickly. I love to fool myself. Good luck.
Dax Rush
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And take lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of digital photos as each piece is removed, and then dismantled. Also never underestimate how much space a dismantled car (especially a 420G Laughing ) is likely to take up!

I'd also be inclined to read up as much as you can about them, restoration stories from the popular mags, that kind of thing, before taking a spanner to it.

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
victor 101

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with lots of digital photos, label everthing you take of, store in strong boxes and mark the boxes so you dont have to rummage through them all to find the bits you want when you come to reassemble.
P3steve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a 63 3.8 Mk 10 a few years ago and changed a damaged door for a good nos one and couldn't believe just how many parts went into just something like the window frame and winder mechanism as well as the door catch and hinges there was spacers, screws springs and washers etc. As I was swapping it straight over I didn't record anything but it was a nightmare even trying to remember where it all went half an hour after taking the bits off so goodness knows how I would have got on after storing the bits for a year or so. So record everything with photo's and write it down as well, good luck and stick with it the Mk 10 420g is one heck of a car and despite its size can be really driven in a spirited way you have to drive one to know how good they really are.
pryantcc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I add that you should also take note of where you put the boxes which you have carefully labelled!

I'm 33 (so don't think I can credibly blame senility yet!) and in the process of restoring an Alvis. Recently, I'm learning that I should have taken more careful note of the places where I had stashed parts. I can't for the life of me find my handbrake cable, but can distinctly remember lubricating it not too long ago.

My method of attack was to completely strip the car and to restore as I re-assembled. Chassis first, then the axles/brake mechanisms (so I could get it rollling again!). Then the engine & box & Fuel tank so I could have the motivational benefit of starting it up! It then made sense to do the major wiring tasks while access was so good. The body was repaired and fitted next, & I'm almost at the stage where I will begin the task I like the least which will be trying to get it to a fit state for painting!

Enjoy!
michael1703

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would do as follows

bonnet off,remove rad,propshaft,exhaust and all cables

strop the engine on the front eye only and you can withdraw the engine and box complete with the inlet manifold and starter motor etc in one go on your own

the inlet manifold is a pig to get off in situ so this saves time, you get a lot of weight out in one hit which makes it moveable/jackable and you dont have bits everywhere as theyre all pretty much one lump, you can even get it out with the downpipes on but its a bit trickier

now youve got the weight out, get it high on sturdy stands and drop the subframes out

rebuild the subframes

bare metal and paint and underseal the bits above the subframe

refit the (rebuilt) subframes with new rubbers

get the car up on 2 sets of ramps and attack the rest

get the underside spanking, run new fuel and brake lines and then get on with paint prep
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always try and get the engine running first.
That way when you get depressed over the amount of work to do you can start the engine (if it's still connected up ) or remember how well it sounded if it isn't.
michael1703

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did it that way once.... 16 years have gone by and it still isnt finished Sad
Keith D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car-Nut,

Some extremely good advice been given in this thread.

I have restored a few cars in my time so I guess I fit into the "old school"!
I would like to add something that doesn't seem to have got mentioned. It's called encouragement and enthusiasm. I would advise joining a Jaguar club and meeting people who can give you good Jaguar advice and plenty of encouragement. Believe me, you will need that. Just to be able to cry onto somebody's shoulder when things go wrong, is worth a lot! Many's the time that a fellow club member has lifted me from the depths of despair and got me enthusiastic and raring to continue!

When you have completed your restoration you have every right to feel extremely proud of your efforts and excited by the results. Anybody who has every restored a car will tell you that it is not easy. But it is certainly worth all the heartache and dedication!

Good luck - Keith
michael1703

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesnt matter now as he has bought a nice car instead of a project
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, stop posting and get on with that Rover. Wink
Dax Rush
michael1703

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we found a good complete engine for the rover, its stripped out and on the car roller

I'm working on other cars and waiting for the customer to finish scraping the barnacles off it and then will blitz it

Its pretty good underneath, just needs sills which are only £25 each

http://s1007.photobucket.com/albums/af197/mpaclassics/FahimP5/
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they are not cardboard sills from Ebay. Shocked
Dax Rush
Car-Nut

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael1703 wrote:
doesnt matter now as he has bought a nice car instead of a project

Thanks for all the posting guys, as Michael said I didnt buy the project in the end the guy rung me up asking for more money after agreeing a price so i told him to keep it. Its still listed for sale.... so maybe he was being greedy Question Question Question

Ive found another car but due to being in Africa a while it wont be coming home till mid november.

Even though this car is a lot better condition, it isnt perfect and I will introduce her to the forum when its back home Smile

Im already getting a list, wood to re varnish, front suspension, wheels need a refurb and engine detailing, the list goes on you know what its like Very Happy

Once again thanks for everyones input before Wink
'70 420G - 17th from last RHD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: