classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Head problems
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Head problems Reply with quote

I have been having untold trouble getting a Pinto EFI engine to run. I have replaced a few parts of the ignition system and now I have a nice fat spark on all 4 plugs. It should run now but no, so listening to my own advice if a spark, fuel, ignition etc I checked the compession with the patented finger in the spark plug hole method and hey presto - no compression on No 2 & 4. I removed the head to find some marks on the pistons. I had read on a Sierra forum that the valves do not contact the pistons so if the timing belt breaks - no problem just slip a new belt on. As this was the case I did not worry about timing it up before fitting and did it after the head was back on. It did feel a bit odd but did not think too much of it but when I removed the head today I found 3 bent valves. It really does not take much to bend valves and I will always put the cam(s) and engine on their marks BEFORE assembly. Never a problem on OHV as the timing is done before the head is fitted and sidevalve engines.
Dax Rush
michael1703

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has the block or the head been skimmed?

does it have a high lift cam?

another reason is that you have a knackered big end shell allowing the piston to travel higher

you could put each piston at tdc and measure from crown to block with a straight edge

get your verniers on the head and check it for thickness

what thickness was the head gasket?

a friend of mine had a 2ltr pinto in his mk5 cortina, he had a belt break and a piston hit a valve
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be wrong but I thought the 1600cc pintos aren't OK if the belt breaks (the valves can hit) but the 2000 cc was supposed to be OK.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the Haynes manual and it confirms that there is a danger of hitting valves. Oh well, it does look nice with shiney new valves and I think I will wait untill the new timing belt arrives before trying to start it.
Dax Rush
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: