classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

The Coventry Run!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
bertie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: The Coventry Run! Reply with quote

Hi all. Well, the run finally came about Very Happy .It was a loooong day, but well worth the preparation. Any negative thoughts I had about Bertie not making the run were well and truly dispelled as the day started, he did 60 miles or so in pretty adverse conditions like a dream Smile . There were 750 entries from fabulous classics to the falling apart, each and every one the pride of their owners eye, and Bertie did us proud Very Happy . What really made the day was that although there were so many better classics there, every time we looked back, people were thronging around him, pointing, taking pictures and when we were there requesting to sit in and get the feel of oldendays motoring. To be brutally honest, I had a fear that he was going to be totally outclassed Crying or Very sad and we would feel vaguely out of place...not a bit of it. Everybody was out to enjoy the day and all had a common interest...the old days had returned! Pictures to follow, so many classics and to choose what to post will be dfficult! Thanks for reading, much editing to do! TTFN.. Smile
Well, as I said, it was quite a day. the preparation...all polished and touched up..

fuelled (£15, bless!)

and his number

The alarm went off at 6.30 AM Sad , flask/sandwiches/crisps done and away by 7.30, arrived and in place by 8.15...

We were early, and avoided the inevitable rush, but the spaces started to fill up shortly.. Smile

At this point, they came in in droves, and before long throngs of people were milling around

Then, the Lord Mayor gave an unheard speech after a similarly poorly broadcasted briefing to the drivers Laughing ( megaphone playing up!) and before we knew it, the drive had begun. Bertie went faultlessly over the next 2 1/2 hours Razz , forging through driving rain, past broken down classics, holdups and covering 60 miles in the process in an immaculate fashion Smile . We got a little damp as we discovered his windscreen leaked a bit at both lower corners and his vacuum wiper needed some manual assistance every now and again Very Happy , but problemwise-that was it. My new concern was that his horn would burn out as so many people had braved the weather to wave at us as we drove by. My endearing memory of the event was the smile on people`s faces as we drove by, honking at all and sundry under umbrellas who were stoic enough to support us by waving the union jack. We arrived back, and the sun came out Cool ...perfect timing!
Now comes the difficult bit Crying or Very sad ...so many wonderful old cars, which to choose to post on this great site. In the end, I`ve decided to include the beasties which caught my eye, as the last thing that any person reading this would want to see is 60 or so pictures of parked up cars..so here goes, forgive my indulgence...

So many there, so much to choose from. The coventry festival of motoring site will shortly have good pictures of all cars there, and you tube has already got a good selection of video/pictures up. Well, that was about it for us. A long day! We drove Bertie back to where he`s garaged and let him cool down.. Wink Wink

So there it is, any doubts I had about Bertie`s reliability were well and truly put to rest on that unforgettable day. The next project is the bodywork. Many thanks for reading this, catch you all soon... Wink

Last edited by bertie on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
bertie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Update on The Coventry Run Reply with quote

Hi all, just to say I`ve added what happened on the day and several pictures of the great cars there Smile . Please enjoy.. Very Happy
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great update and photos, Bertie's definitely earning his keep!! Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Bellisin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car looks stunning. You had nothing to fear.

If I could get my Hampton looking anything near as good I would be one happy motorist.

Stuart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: