classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris 8 paint codes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Bob T

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Morris 8 paint codes? Reply with quote

Hi,
I am restoring a 1936 Morris 8, it was originally all black but I would like to do it in two-tone red and black. Can anyone help with a modern equivalent paint code or colour name close to the original?
Bob
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

You could try contacting Marcel Guest (HMG) in Manchester, they supplied the paint for the Dodge and when I visited their factory, I had chance to look at their old paint codes and samples going back to the 1930s. There's every chance that they have some information on Morris colours of that era.

PM me for a contact email address.

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob

These are modern colour codes that most closely match original Morris pre war colours:

Morris Light Brown = BLMC Fuscious Brown, Berger ref 3527, ICI 7148, PJP 6170x4530.

Morris Dark brown = BLMC Fawn Brown, Berger 3549, ICI 4860, PJP 6170x4620.

Morris Dark Blue = Chrysler Biarritz Blue, Berger 0636, ICI 2831, PJP 6170x1510.

Morris Green = Fiat Country Green, Berger 4312, ICI 6860, PJP 170z2530.

Morris Red = Austin Damask Red, Berger 1244, ICI 4808, PJP 6170x5110 or Peugot Amaranth Red, Berger 3957, ICI 7806, PJP 6177w5110.

Morris Dash Colour(Dark Purple not Black) = Fiat Amaranth, Berger 3597,ICI 7540, PJP 6170y5490.

Its also unlikely (not impossible) your Morris was originally all black, nearly all were a "colour" on black. The post war 8 Series E were only available all black , and may pre war cars got this treatment later in their life to make them look more modern!. The colour of the interior (if original) will be a giveaway to the original colour as it will match the exterior colour. The post war "black" SE's all had brown interiors.

2 colour's on the 8's do look good, whether its was original or not, I think you are doing the right thing.

Cheers

Dave
Bob T

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
thanks very much for the info.
My car was all black and has a red interior, but as you say I think the two colour option looks good. A friend has a ford pilot in Black Cherry, which is a very dark moroon and I am tempted to use that. I am not too bothered about originality as I will ot be entering any concours competitions.
I have seen photos of the red/black series 1 Morris 8's and the red is very red, much brighter than the interior, so I think the maroon will be in keeping with the interior and go well with the black .
Thanks again for the info, I will research the codes you gave me before deciding.
Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: