classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris 8 ignition
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Morris 8 ignition Reply with quote

Well here it is; I have made an amplifier for the Morris and apart from falling out of the "silly tree" and hitting every branch on the way down, ordering the wrong resistors 150k instead of 150 ohm, fitting a new side entry dizzy cap and getting the leads in the wrong order, dooh. Anyway I got it all sorted and the Morris does start a lot better and runs smoother but not quite as well as I expected. When I put the timing light on it the timing wandered a bit so the dizzy must be worn. This is just a lash up to see how if it works so I will tidy it up later.

I will make one for the Talbot next and I have ordered the parts to make one for +ve earth 6v.
If anyone wants one of the Maplin ignition amps made and tested PM me.
Dax Rush
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nic

Those Velleman kits from Maplin are excellent value. Very Happy Very Happy I don’t know how much you know about them? essentially they are just an electronic switch, but what they do is collapse the field in the coil far more quickly than conventional points.

A non electrical analogy; if you imagine the coil is one of those big 50 gallon oil drums full of water, conventional points closing is like puting a 12" hole in the base and the water flows out pretty quickly, but this electronic switch is the equivalent of knocking the whole base of the oil drum out, so the water (energy) is almost instantly released, resulting in a better spark and allowing you to open the plug gaps up a tad.

One other big plus point with them is that if the electronics fail, its a simple flick of the switch to return to the conventional points system.

I have made a few of these kits up for both 12 and 6v negative earth, I did once modify one kit to work on positive earth, but ended up spending more on components than the original kit cost, and butchering the PCB, so much that it was hardly worth buying the original kit Shocked have they brought out a +ve earth mod?

Dave
Timstopp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic
May I ask a couple of quite dim questions, is the kit ready made or do you need a level of soldering skill and I assume that the module is complete and ready to use for 12v -ve earth cars?
Thanks
Tim
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim, the Velleman module comes in kit form so yes one does need a soldering iron. I would also strongly advise ring or fork crimps for the terminations. I can help if needed, PM me or give me a ring.
www.pickwickhousebandb.com
PS I went for a drive today and she is running well but the charge light has come on. There always has to be something!
Dax Rush
Timstopp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nic
Now have the kit and a soldering iron.... can't wait to start :0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: