classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Mopeds
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Mopeds Reply with quote

Hi

Anyone got any really old mopeds they want to sell?

Looking for some, the stranger/ sillyer looking the better, as work have a plan to do a ride, to raise some money for a good cause.

Got to be a moped, and got to be under 100cc, condition is not too important, but running would be good, work needed is fine! The cheaper the better, as the more can go to the good cause then!

Any idea's where else to look?

Cheers

Dave
Ironhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,have a look at Smiths Autocycles site,they have some old 'peds for sale.They are based near Skipton,N.Yorks.I have an old Raleigh RM1,not selling,but looking for spares to get it on the road.I've heard reports that they are virtually un-rideable Laughing
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well I got a moped, but just been told the rules, can be up to 100cc, and has to be under £100, I will have to waver that one, and mine is only 50cc, doh!

Not to worry the net says it will travel at 25mph, I had 20mph on the drive today, but ran out of space. It needs a manual choked carburettor as the auto choke has packed up, I have to use my thumb at the moment!

Anyway the crack is to raise cash for Testicular Cancer, we are due to ride from Cheshire up to Scotland over 4 or 5 days. So might be asking for sponsership soon.

I have a feeling I may be riding long after dark to catch my friends!

Pics:-

Cheers

Dave
Ironhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks as good as new Dave Smile btw,what is it?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tasty moped there bb, where did you find it Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I found it in Wallsall!

Anyone want to sponsor me? I am not sure how best to do it, but I have a sponser form here.

Cheers

Dave
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Here we go, have a look at http://www.justgiving.com/David-Riley2

Cheers

Dave
doug

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck Dave. Keep us posted with progress, when are you doing it?
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers!!

We should be doing it Easter weekend, so the roads should be nice and busy!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the team here:-

https://www.justgiving.com/teams/BallstoCancer and sponsor me if you like! hehe I aint riding 600 miles at 20mph unless I meet my target!
doug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you have made your target Dave, no going back now!!
Best of luck, Arran is a beutiful island hope you manage a lap around it.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, Not looking forward to the ferry to be honest!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this was due an update for a while now, but never seemed to get round to it for one reason or another. As I seem to have a virus or something, meaning I have no energy and other simmilar syptoms, I thought I would spend an hour writing a report of the ride. I probably shouldn't be looking at a VDU screen if I have a head ache but boredom is a funny thing.

Right the week friday before we set out on the Sunday I got a call saying the Honda that is pictured above was ready to take on the ride, it had gone into a local motorcycle garage for two new tyres and an MOT, 8 weeks prior, I also said if they notice anything seriously wrong with it let me know and I will instruct them on what I want to do. After a few weeks of hearing nothing I thought I better ring to find out where they were up to with it, they were very vague, and so I went in soon after, the manager said very little to me and I found him very rude, not looking at me when talking to me, serving other customers even ones that walked into the shop after me first. Anyway I find they have done allsorts to it, crank, had the cylinder and piston out, exhaust, tyres, tubes,........ I asked for a breakdown of the bill and was told it won't be expensive. They innitially said they would do it labour free as it was a charity ride, and I could have got the tyres and an mot for under £50, so didn't really want to pay more than £100 as it was just that, for Charity and it was to cost me too much. In the end on collection day the enevitable row started, he wanted to charge me a large sum, to which I refused, and paid him £150 much more than I had expected, just hope he learnt a lesson there, keep the customer informed, and listen to what he wants, cheeky!

Right sunday came and I decided to ride the brown back up bike I had bought and take the blue expensive one as the backup bike as I had had no testing time to get used to it. I started out from home at 5.00am and arrived at the starting point at 5.30am for a prompt 6.00am start. I was told it was going to be fancy dress to add to the comic value and so wore my victorian penny farthing riding gear, tweeds, plus fours and waistcoat, looked a bit of an idiot riding through town especially as my lights packed up so found myself using the ones off my regular bicycle, (penny farthing of course). I could not see a thing, but hoped someone may see me, as luck would have it at thhat time on a sunday morning I think I only saw two other cars on the way! Was this to set the standard for things to come, I really hoped it wouldn't.

Got to the starting place and found the fancy dress idea was a bit of a joke, and guess what, only I was dressed up, great! Really happy about that one!

Anyway we all had pictures and donned some florescent bibbs with the sponsored ride printed on them, and I put a coat on, it was freezing! Thankfully the sune rose too, so the emeergency lighting could at last be switched off. The tractor seat I had fixed to the moped seemed to do the trick though, seemed quite a laid back ride, and the fuel sight tube we rigged up seemed to do the trick, showing me an idea of what fuel I had.

We at last were give the route and set off up the A51 onto the A49 stopping for fuel several times, and thought at a stop I had done about 40 miles only to be told that was 9 miles done! That really helped morale! Anyway we pressed on after spending a penny and got back on the A49 getting a bit lost in Warrington and got onto the A6, we carried on and seemed to be making good progress. we even found ourselves riding in convoy with a load of big bikes mostly of female riders who were off to a meeting up north, that was fun and they loved what we were doing.

Reaching Preston was a good point as I remembered driving home from preston with a friend years earlier and that seemed a fair distance. Then a bit further on seeing Garstang, well we did a steam rally last year up at Garstang, Scorton rally, and that was a fair drive too, so that was good. The bike still seemed to be running well bar the numerous petrol stops and the fact that had become alarmingly aparent was how slow I was compared tot he others, they all kept stopping and waiting, and then me catching up and going again, but the issue with this was, I never got a break! They did all stop when one bike had a little hicup and I carried on past. That was about garstang area, I did wonder if I was going the right way so uposn reaching Lancaster I stopped and waited.

I think it was soon after Lancaster that the bike having the hicups was diagnosed or the rider decided that he may use my spare for the remainder of the day. So the little expensive blue bike did make an apearance, and finally someone else was a simmilar slowness to me! Lancaster/Morcambe was a great feeling as I remember going from Heysham to the Isle of Man a few months ago and on the return nightmare journey taking 10 hours to get back to Cheshire, but that is another long story, not for today!!

straight up the A6 over shap, Christ!! I pedal assited all up there and boy did I feel it, I was slowing to nearly 15mph! what a long drag that was! hehe Through penrith and had some dinner, then we managed to reach Carlisle about 4pm ish. That was day one complete target reached. Now just to find a campsite, well we rode and rode, but it became eveident in through looking for a campsite we were riding miles and miles, and soon found ourselves in Gretna, and then Dumfries, so I rung a friend and we camped at his place, great, we made it, tent up and a sit down, then off to bed quite early.

We stopped at Martin Edgars farm, who runs:- http://www.classic-vintage-car-rental.com/

Upon reacing Lochfoot out of Dumfries my bike was spluttering somewhat, but it had just run for about 250 miles non stop, and the only issue I had was a sparking plug burnt out after 180miles of full throttle!

Last edited by buzzy bee on Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second part....

Day two:- We set off fairly early after thanking Martin, we rode to a nice cafe and had a cooked breakfast and a bit of a freshen up and then on too newton stewart, my bike seemed to be running exceptionally well maybe some dirt int he fuel had settled over night as you can only really wash one side of the tank out on a moped like the brown machine. On the way to Newton stewart my friend using my spare bike seemed to have a simmialr turn of speed to me, so we found ourselves racing each other, it was down to just areodynamics to get the edge over each other, he was passing me and I then passed him etc. We had great fun that morning and were at points leaning right out flat above our bikes, hehehe I would love to know what these passers by other drivers etc were thinking! At Newton Stewart, towards Stranraer, and stopped at one of the other riders friends workshop, he did tool hire. My friend riding the spare bike was able to sort his bike, which was eventually diagnosed as a jubilee clip not being tight, upsetting the mixture, oh and also his rear wheel bearing had collapsed. That wasn't to stop him, he tried a bearing out of a mountain bike headstock, with no luck and then found with a bit of grinding on the bench grinder the bearing in a strimmer head could be made to fit. Another bike had a water leak on his water cooled engine!!! so he re did the gasket on that, snapping a studd off in the progress and I found the filter bowl on the fuel tap was leaking, so we fixed that with hosepipe, insulation tape and a jubilee clip and it is still holding today, touch wood!

We soon got on and had another days riding untill further up the coast when we stopped off, I had an issue with my gloves in that I couldn't get them on, allt he lining had come out of them, and next thing had found myself stranded as everyone else rode off, great! I decided to call the support van initially for some spare gloves but was to later tun ito a little ride in the van to the campsite up at heads of Ayr.

We set camp there for the next two nights, and had a good rest that night, before heading off early to Adrossan on the A78, thats a bit of a dicy road on a moped, very fast, a bit like a motorway! hehe

We caught the ferry and went over to the Isle of Arran, and found it to be buitifull sunsine over there iff a little breezy. The roads were great, but in a terrible state of repair, and was a little harsh on the hondas suspension! Some of the roads had huge drops either side on them, which was a little unerving to me, and also were quite hilly requiring a good ammount of pedaling, it reminded me of the Isle of Man.

We went back over to the main land and back tot he campsite. On the way back to the campsite I do own up to having one bit of assistance in that a friend on a 100cc bike gave me a push up one of the long hills, you should have seen the faces of the others when slow old me seemed to shoot past them, by which time my friend had stopped pushhing me but I was doing nearly 50mph! I was in my arodynamic position and it was hilarious! The friend who had used the spare bike was having an issue with his front tyre going flat, and filled it with that gunky stuff, which seemed to be coming out on the way to the campsite, it was also realised there was a hole int he side of the tyre when the tread was lifting, so it was decided to put that in the van, and he rode pillion back to tha campsite. I gave the friend my front tyre and tube as they were the same size and I didn't need it on the way home, still got to get that back at some point. This was to be my last night with the riders as I came back the follwing morning on the train, as I was to go to the Llandudno victorian extravaganza with the engines and the penny. Upon them all setting off the next day leaving me behind it seemed a little sad, btu I new Llandudno was waiting, after what worked out to be a long boring days travel on the railway.

Well thats about it, it was a bit more involved than that, but I am getting a bit achey from typing now, so that is the condensed version.

We are now looking forward to a trip of about 650 miles round wales, date yet to be set, but I may buy a more modern quicker moped for that trip.

Cheers and sorry for the long boring posts!

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fab write-up! funnily enough I've been feeling a bit groggy, must have been the whiff of that dead dog(?) we could smell in the pub car park the other evening!

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: