classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

adjusting the sweep/arc of a wiper motor?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: adjusting the sweep/arc of a wiper motor? Reply with quote

I would be grateful if someone could tell me if such an exercise is feasible or,alternatively,more trouble than it is worth.
I have been toying with the idea of fitting a wiper to the rear window of my 1968 Volvo estate but the options for fitting same and positioning are limited.For this reason Iwondered if alteration to the swept area may increase my options.
My thanks in anticipation. oldtimer.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would imagine its a case of changing the position of the crank pin on the drive wheel, you would have to cut or drill the old one out and weld or braze a new one in? if the pin is closer to the edge of the drive wheel, it should give a longer arc as the crank will be traveling further.

Dave
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: adjusting wiper arc Reply with quote

Hello Dave
My thanks for your reply.It gives me a concept when,before, I had only some vague,wooly headed thinking. I thought that it may not be too involved if motors were standard but many different sweeps would be required for many different applications.
Thanks again
John
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Dave's suggestion would certainly permit a reduced travel but I wouldn't have thought that there would be much scope to increase travel just because of the limits of the slide. The standard crank will probably be pretty near its maximum radius anyway.

Peter
BigJohn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought of modifying a 240 estate one, I have no idea if it would fit, but it might be worth getting a scrapyard one just to see. Failing that I seem to remember my series 2 Landrover had a short sweep.
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: adjusting sweep/arc of wiper motor Reply with quote

Hello Peter and Big John
Thanks to both for your input.I am accustomed to Peter's long suffering tolerance but UK Dave and JOHN are recent recruits to the cause.
I suspect that I shall ,probably, do nothing on this matter but it pops up ad nauseam over the years since I have had this car for 37 years!.
I thank you all since you may well prove to be the catalyst this time.
John
BigJohn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think an event like reversing into an unseen object due to crud on the back window might be more of a catalyst!! Laughing
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about availability now, but many cars had the same remote wiper motor driving a wheel box via a spiral wound cable (rack).
Wheel boxes came with a variety of different sized gears to give differing sweeps.
Might it be possible to fit a remote motor with rack-drive to a suitable wheelbox.
I have a car with a Herald wiper motor driving Mini wheelboxes to reduce the sweep.
oldtimer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: adjusting wiper arc Reply with quote

Hello Jim,
I have long recognised you as another of the band of knowledgeable chaps on the forum and what you describe is the kind of setup I envisaged may exist to give makers the versatility without major changes to the design.
My thanks to you,as to the other cognoscenti.
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: