classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Lights Not Working
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Lights Not Working Reply with quote

I'm having trouble with my dipped lights again. Last year my Beetle failed its MoT because the dipped lights wouldn't come on, so we replaced the relay and everything worked fine up until now. The side lights and the main beam all work fine, its just the dipped aren't working again. Could this be a faulty relay again (doubtful) or do you think I should be looking for something else. Thanks in advance.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly a dodgy switch and/or connection? First thing really is to check to see if you're getting a feed to the lamp(s) with the relevant switch set to dipped beam.

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Lights Not Working Reply with quote

D wrote:
I'm having trouble with my dipped lights again. Last year my Beetle failed its MoT because the dipped lights wouldn't come on, so we replaced the relay and everything worked fine up until now. The side lights and the main beam all work fine, its just the dipped aren't working again. Could this be a faulty relay again (doubtful) or do you think I should be looking for something else. Thanks in advance.
First thing i would is check with a multimeter have you got volts from switch to the relay if ok, if not check swt and or volts to the swt or is a fuse fitted either to or from swt, temp fit another earth if ok, have you got volts out of relay to the lights if ok if not replace relay, if relay has burnt out again is it powerful enough for the job, check the bulbs this can be done setting the meter on resistance and checking continuity between earth and each filament if ok check earth on bulb holder but if they work on main earth must be ok with any electrical fault take one step at a time until you have found the problem. Hope this helps.
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have the ceramic / bullet fuses.
They are well known for causing problems, they can look clean and dandy but as the contact is so fine they hide any corrosion.
I Had a wiper problem with a 1953 Beetle that was a pig to find only to find it was fuses.

Even a test lamp showed continuity but as soon as you put a current through no go

If you still have ceramics remove them and thoroughly clean the contacts contact hole, fuse ends.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your Beetle is 6v then its vital that every connexion and junction or terminal is clean of any corrosion and tight. Also old cables tarnish internally giving volt drop which woich be hardly noticable on a 12v system

Switch contacts internally too can give problems and look OK on multi meter test but cannot pass the heavy current withour volt drop as contacts burnt/dirty
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Separate fuses for dip and main Shocked , for the love of God will someone please post a wiring diagram.
Dax Rush
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic Jarman wrote:
Separate fuses for dip and main

1972 is a bit modern for my information sources but my wiring diagram does say 1955 onwards so that should cover it! Laughing

There are no relays in this diagram but strangely each headlamp bulb is provided with a separate fuse for main beam but the dip filaments and wired together and go straight to the dip switch without any fuse at all!

Peter Rolling Eyes
MVPeters

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen!

VW's are a bit odd - like Volvos! The left & right side sidelights are also separately fused.
"Generally" - headlights are not (or at least were not) fused or relayed for safety - VW's & most European mainland cars are an exception.
US cars had fuses for some things but a re-settable circuit breaker built into the headlight switch.
Moderns have Lighting Control Modules with a mind of their own & pathetic connectors.
Like telephones, you can't beat solid copper.

If it's a '72 car, you need a '72 wiring diagram to see what's in there.

(Hope this helps someone! )
D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone. Just thought I'd say we was out there the other day messing around with it and checking the wires. After a bit of playing around we tested the lights again and it turned out they started to work. It looks like it was just a loose connection. So for now its all working again. I'd just like to say thank-you to everyone for the advise.
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi D
What year is your Bug
I have an 'Owners service manual VW 1200'
Print date 1963 Germany by Delius, Klasing & Co Bielefeld and Berlin.
Bit dog eared but completely usable
Can scan pages for you if you wish
D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,
My Bug is a 1300cc 1972. I've recently ordered the haynes manual for year and model so hopefully that will be of some use. I'm just not big up on my electrical knowledge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: