classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rover back on the road
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
P3steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Rover back on the road Reply with quote

I stored the Rover at a friends work shop over the winter so spent most of winter stripping the Standard down to a shell for its retoration. but got the Rover back home last month to make a start on any jobs that might be needed for the coming season, The drive home from my friends place showed a pull to the right on the brakes suggesting a brake seized on the left side. Stripping it out I found one side of the double acting cylinder seized due to the outer dirt seal being split letting muck and damp in, soon had it freed off then lightly honed out the cylinder and polished the pistons though had to take the cylinder off to to warm up and free off the bleed nipple as well. A new seal kit from pre 1950s Rover supplier Meteor spares in Nottingham was soon fitted but bugger me I had one heck of a job finding some red grease, a local lorry garage gave me some in the end. I put it all together yesterday afternoon and got my sister in law to do her duty with the bleeding and soon had a nice firm brake. Even though it was dull I just had to take it out for a run even if it was just to the local Tesco's, It was a faultless run and she drew quite a crowd in the car park but my goodness it felt good to drive her again, its almost like a fix and I get withdrawal symptons when I cant take her out - listen to me I think I need help, any way all the other few jobs are cosmetic, one being the "pass lamp" on the front bumper that wouldnt tighten up and kept flopping forward due to some one in the past trying to fix a stripped thread by brazing a nut. It was a bit of a bodge but I took it off and put some metal putty in the base and refitted the lamp making sure to position it in the right place, when set the lamp was solid again and will do until I can get another, I do have a spare but was saving that for the Standard as its a slightly newer one. Any way thanks for listening to my ramblings.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's nice to put something back on the road after a lull, I want to get the Standard back in frontline action again, as I've not been out in that (other than on the driveway) since August '10 I think.

RJ

Any pics of the Rover?
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
P3steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:

Any pics of the Rover?

There would be but my PC has just decided to not up load any thing from the digi cam.
Another job out the way one that has plagued me for years is the mountings for the wiper motor which on the Rover are three very small "Rubber bobbins" which screw direct into the bottom of the wiper motor and bolt through a plate over the control box, for at least eight years the motor has been held in place with cable ties as the bobbins have gone and I've tried everywhere to get some or have them remade with no sucess and my own attempts to glue/bond them being total failures. while I was down a friends workshop today (Pops Place Morris Minor center, Lowestoft) chatting to Dick the owner and he said why not use morris minor ones and after a rummage around produced three minor ones which although not the same being a bushed stud rather than a bobbin they fitted the wiper motor just fine and do the job just as well and for the first time in eight years the motor is secure. All that searching and the answer was right on my door step.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A near equivalent bobbin was sourced slighly smaller but works just as well - see P4DG Forum.

Also Europa Spares does the same part.

Direct fixing with a spacer will probably better that broken mounts
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: