classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Repairing a diesel exhaust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Repairing a diesel exhaust. Reply with quote

I've an old ex London Taxi.Nissan 2.7 litre diesel and enough miles on the clock to go to the moon and over half way back again.
Yesterday the exhasut got pretty noisy.They have a spherical join just before the silencer,this had split from the pipe and when I took the whole system off it looked as though it had sarted to split some time ago although it had only really got noisy that day.
The only way to repair it was to cut off the thin metal from the ends,put in a sleeve and weld it all back together.
When I started it it was quiet again (other than the normal diesel rattle) but seems to have found some extra go from somewhere.It definately accelerates faster especially from rest and is better than I can remember it being for some time.I can't for the life of me think why.
If anything the exhaust is more restricted than before with the sleeve inside it and the blow wasn't enough (I don't think) to have affected it one way or the other.The only thing I can think of is that somehow jacking it way up in the air to change the pipe etc has disturbed something but once again I can't think what.
Anyone any ideas?.
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock exhausts are NOT always the most optimum size for each vehicle in size or shape and its not correct thinking that the bigger the exhaust the better the flow. Yes the exhaust pulses 'line up and push' each other but the exhaust actually works a bit like a chimney to DRAW the pulses of the exhaust through also.
by moving the tubing around and restricting a section with that sleeve you may just had increased the draw enough to feel the increased speed

When tuning an exhaust there is always a pay off in the same way as an engine, low down torque versus high end speed

Ultimately it could just be psychosomatic; it could feel faster as its quieter and more smooth after rattling around in it with a broken exhaust
Very Happy

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: