classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Where is your old car?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Laurie Cross

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Where is your old car? Reply with quote

Hello,

Have you ever wondered what happened to the cars you have owned in the past or maybe your interested to know something about the classic you just bought.
Myself and my family have often thought this about the cars we have previously owned,
So we have created the site www.classiccarlink.com
In the hope that somebody has information about the cars we have owned, Maybe you have my car!!
If enough people join together maybe we can help bring some past and present owners together, sign up today and have a look.

maybe your old car is waiting for you!

Regards
Laurie Cross

Last edited by Laurie Cross on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
smiffy220

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this on other local clubs too. Have just signed up, looks like will take some time to look thoroughly through the site. Should be interesting.

1980 Opel Manta 2.0 SR Berlinetta
1934 Morris Cowley Four (my late fathers)
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurie Cross

I'm glad to hear that you later apologised to a forum moderator, after having gone off on a rant at them, just because I re-located your promotional posting to the correct section.

In future please address all complaints to me directly, and check your facts thoroughly before sending a communication worded like that again.

Thanks, RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look in. Far too much going on. I guess I am one of those who if I can't see what I want in the first 15 seconds I lose interest.
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterwpg wrote:
Far too much going on.

I think that might be an illusion though. It looks like very very early days for this site. There will need to be an enormous response before there is any chance of anything better in odds than a National Lottery win for contacting other owners of your cars.

Peter
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a bit like Cars Reunited to me.

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Laurie Cross

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have matched 1 at the 100 members point, But it was not quite owner to owner.
It was a man who owned a Rochdale in the 60's and the Chairman of the Rochdale owners club then put him in touch with the man who currently owns the car which is now in the Orkney Isles.
But as my day job is actually as an odds compiler I am not going to tell you it is a 100-1 shot!!!!
We will need alot of members to join together!
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it's not for me, especially with English like this:

Can you recall any of the registration numbers of your'e past cars?
Do you have any photo's of them?
If the answer to either of these questions is yes then please register and list what you know,
And upload you're photo's for everyone to see.
Classic_Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I was sorting through family photographs over Christmas that my Aunt gave me before she passed away.

There were two photos of cars that after scanning and zooming in etc, the number plates were readable.
The cars were MG TA circa 1938 and MG TD circa 1951.
After checking for registration information on Old Classic Car web site for its age and the DVLA vehicle enquiry, it emerged that the TA is currently licenced and the TD is on SORN.
Next I googled the registrations and found the owner of the TA, within a hour of finding the photo, I had exchanged emails with the current owner, and now he has a photo of the car although year unknown when taken it would have been before 1951.
It just so happened that the owner had a wedding car business with many classic cars, the web site included their history and registration, which google robots had picked up. If you have a web site put the registration on, you never know.

In regard to the web site at the beginning of the thread, if it is to be a success, the owner needs to remove the requirement to register before looking. Most people are now very sceptical about giving disclosing email addresses.
Dave
Salopian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I found the website very "busy" as well plus the points re registration etc are well made.
Mind you Dave if the TD reg is DTK etc its mine - if your aunt was also in Stafford so was my car for many years. Now that would be a coincidence!!
Classic_Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan
That would be, no she was from T Wells, the reg I think was JVB (from memory) London / Croydon.
You have two great cars, if I see them around I now know where there from.
Laurie Cross

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the comments.

Classic_Dave: You do not have to register to search the site, We deliberatly left that open so that people could search freely.
In the top right there is a search bar where you can search for a Reg no. try with or with the space e.g HKF 635D HKF635D as people enter the Reg no. in different in different formats or search for a car model!!

Riley541: Thanks for pointing out the errors I am afraid grammar is not a strong point for me, However I will rectify this now.

Classic_Dave again!!: I find it incredible that both cars are still around given the age! Even more so that you managed to find one of them. Brilliant find.

Regards
Laurie
Classic_Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurie
It is surprising that both have survived. I did email the picture of the TD to the MG TD registar, and they know of the car but had no trace of it for a long time, but the DVLA vehicle enquiry seems to indicate that it is sorned which needs actioning yearly. Saying that I have car that has not been on the road after 1998, hence does require to be sorned, and the DVLA enquiry states it is licenced!
I suspect the survival rate for the MG T series is quite high. I think my Uncle / Aunt had the TD from new and to at least the mid sixties. They probbaly only used it at weekends. I think they lived quite close to their work place.

Dave
Richard H

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're bored a good way to pass the time is to find how many websites Laurie Cross has joined to plug his site with the same copied and pasted message. I make it 24. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Laurie Cross

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah your correct their were quite a few in the first week or so.
Since then it has been featured in quite a few UK newspapers, and is going to be featured in practical classics next month so I have not been bothering trying to spread it across the forums as these publications have more of an impact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: