classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Lead loading
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Lead loading Reply with quote

For some reason I can't explain,I have often thought I would like to have a try at lead loading.I am aware of the health hazards and need for sensible precautions but that is all.I wonder if modern fillers have made this a totally redundant exercise or not.I would be glad if someone would tell me so or,alternatively,clue me up on the procedure if possible.
My thanks in advance for any help in deciding either way.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something very satisfying about lead loading! and it's not half as difficult as some folk would have you believe. There is nothing wrong with modern fillers if they are used properly, but you just can't beat shaping some semi molten body solder.

Give it a go!

Dave
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: lead loading Reply with quote

Thank you Dave for you words of encouragement.Being totally clueless,do I have to "treat"the area first with something like a "tinning"paint orpreparation?
Thanks,
John
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it was on this site or from another but saw this.

Looks very interesting, not sure how useful video tutorials are,
Might work for some people.
Have also posted searches on youtube, as I often do when bored Smile , and came up with a few of the same.

http://www.metalshapingzone.com/shop/page/1?sessid=Pe2GuxIqfyOQfbKvKKRfOe1mVKyof7d2nt1KAqzHl0xa6OiKXiO3iBIv4GOwyYVL&shop_param=
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Lead loading Reply with quote

Thank you for your input and info R-h.Much appreciated.
John
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: lead loading Reply with quote

oldtimer wrote:
Thank you Dave for you words of encouragement.Being totally clueless,do I have to "treat"the area first with something like a "tinning"paint orpreparation?
Thanks,
John

John, you can tin with bakers fluid, but far easier to use a flux solder paste, I am pretty sure Frost supply a kit with all the bits in ,all you are really doing is tinning the steel with the solder paste, and then with some heat adding the solder, keeping the area warm you use wooden spatula's to roughly shape the solder, if it all goes wrong you can simply walk away let it set and go back (after a pint or a cup of tea!) if you have ever welded its a bit like welding in slow motion.

Dave
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Lead loading Reply with quote

Hello again Dave,
Thanks to you and R-h I have been pushed inthe right direction.I have just found the Frost site and info there for novices/dummies like me so I will concentrate on that for a start and,hopefully won't have to make a nuisance of myself to you and others while I do my homework
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: