classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What Battery Voltage??!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
whiteshadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: What Battery Voltage??! Reply with quote

I had an issue when the vintage style rubber battery in my classic died....It was possibly MURDER! by the Lucas control box!.

I have now put in a modern sealed type battery to get the car going, and I think sorted the issue with the control box.

My question is this:-

Is a modern battery with internal vents (sealed) suitable for a control box/Dynamo arrangement?. I set the control box up slightly lower than the 16.2Volts the manual said to use, but I still get a little worried when the ammeter shows 10-20 amps going to the battery!
Should I be worried?

M
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just replaced a sealed one that lasted 12 years on my dynamo P5 Rover 3 Litre.

This was a calcium type battery too which are more sensitive to voltage - mine runs at 15.8v but this car has the 3 bobbin Current/Voltage RB340 regulator instead of the 2 bobbin CVC one - RB106. However my P2 also has a sealed battery on it which is over 6 years old and seems OK
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A potential downside of using a Lead acid sealed battery with a control box, is that there is no way of topping up, not a problem if the battery is not overcharged, so good maintenance of the charging system is recommended .

Hi charge is not a problem if the battery is discharged eg just after starting the car, but it should soon drop off as the battery returns to full charge.
Dave
MVPeters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhiteShadow

I really think 16V is far too high a setting for a control box & may be what fried your old battery.
14.4V - 14.8V are more usual numbers.

If you plug a digital volt meter into the cigar lighter on your 'modern' & watch it for a day or two, you'll see how the charging system works after cold & hot starts etc..
An older systewm will be slower to respond, but the results should be very close.

10-20A charge rate is also far too high once the car has been running for a while.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify:
16V is in fact OK for an open circuit, around 14V is what you're looking for as a regular charging voltage.

There's a good Lucas .PDF here: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B-NDYU33fSlXODJlZWMzMzQtMDA2Zi00ODAyLWJmMjMtY2MwMTA3MTI3MTc5&sort=name&layout=list&pid=0B-NDYU33fSlXZTU3ZWMxODMtOGIzMC00NTAzLWFlMjYtOGEwOWNiNjdhMmZh&cindex=2
whiteshadow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Charging Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

My gut feeling is that the general voltage is a bit too high, even if I set it up as per the Lucas doc. (16.2V - Open circuit)

I think I'll just set it closed loop (no card in cutout contacts) to a sensible voltage ~14.5V??!I don't really need to cram juice into the battery, as the lights are pretty rubbish I don't drive at night.

Unfortunately I have to fix the blown head gasket before I can take it on a long run..

M
Kelsham

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: charging rate Reply with quote

I had some problems with my Landcrab a few months ago. I kept boiling away the acid from the battery.This was after the old battery blew apart under the bonnet.

I fitted three new control boxes and a recon dynamo in desperation. One control box was checked over by the supplier and approved as working correctly.

None of the above actions stopped acid from appearing on the lid of the new battery.

Earths and all wiring were thoroughly checked out. Eventually I just lowered the charging rate. Cant remember the figure but lower than specified in the manual.

I then went on a tour, to Southampton then up to Newcastle then home to Mid Wales. Problem solved.

Regards Kels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: