classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1930 Packard 7-45 Phaeton
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
papple

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: 1930 Packard 7-45 Phaeton Reply with quote

This is my 1930 Packard 7-45 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton

Its the only such car in the UK and one of only 2 in Europe

I am in the Nottinghamshire area. Are there any other owners of "one-offs" or large pre-war cars locally who fancy creating a small regular meet?

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in that area alas, but what a magnificent machine!!! Cool Any more photos to hand?

Welcome aboard Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
47p2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an impressive car, please tell us more
papple

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bit more information;

Packard continued to develop more and more ostentatious cars throughout the Roaring Twenties and this 7th Series incarnation was released late in the summer of 1929.

The Wall Street Crash of October 1929 very much spoiled the party and caused the Great Depression of the early 1930's. However, Packard decided to go even further upmarket in denial of the economic situation and introduced new V12 engined cars in '32 up to the war.

However, the Seventh series straight 8 cars represented the iconic 1920's cars with the long hood and flowing fender lines. For 1931 (8th Series) Packard moved the cowl and windscreen forward by 5 inches to create more space inside but this left the hood and wings shorter. Consequently the 7th Series is the one to have for many. (imagine an E-Type with a shorter bonnet?)

My car would have been in manufacture as the Financial crisis hit in November 1929 but was delivered to its owner in February 1930 via the main dealer in Philadelphia PA.

Its a 385 cu in. (6300cc) straight 8 producing 106 horsepower and, more importantly buckloads of torque.

Packard made approx 1800 7-45 chassis in 1930 but as they were so big, most were bodied as limousines. 600 went to coachbuilders so the factory bodied 1200 themselves. Of these, only approx 75 were fitted with the Phaeton body (no side windows) and this represented the lightest body on the biggest chassis - truly a playboy's extravagance.

This "lightweight" "sport phaeton" weighs in at 2200kg and 17 feet long, 145" wheelbase and returns....... 9 mpg !!

It was imported into the UK in 2004 after extensive work in the US. Prior to me aquiring it, it was used, come rain or shine, in the wedding trade so had only been maintained minimally. I am working through a list of issues to generally bring the condition back up to a better, show standard. First job was to jet-wash years of road-salt deposits from the chrome wheels and chassis!!

Current jobs include refurbing the dynamo, speedometer, suspension dampers fuel gauge, fuel pump, leather reconditioning, new carpets and general deep cleaning.

Spares are more or less available from America but usually at enormous cost so careful refurbishment is the best option. At least the car is 100% complete.

I'm hoping to take her to Woolaton Park "Autokana" show in Nottingham on 5th June, weather permitting, so please say hi if you are there.

Last edited by papple on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive. Straight out of "The Great Gatsby"

Peter
papple

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imfinlay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just....... WOW!
Scotty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely stunning - everything an American car of the period should be.

In the nicest way possible, I'm green with envy! Cool
Beetlefan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beauty!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: