classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Axle tramp on my Morris 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Bob T

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Axle tramp on my Morris 8 Reply with quote

I have a Series i 1936 Morris 8 that has just been recommisioned after 40 odd years. Generally all has gone well but in reverse there is severe axle tramp when moving off, it happens in first as well but noy so violently.
I have checked the u bolts holding the axle to the springs, can anyone suggest what else to check, please ?
Cheers
Bob
Farmer John

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob. Most likely that your car is suffering massive clutch shudder, with a mechanical clutch linkage there can be a point when you begin to engage the clutch the engine moves on it's mounts it releases the clutch and the next thing you kow you have a never ending lurch or shudder. The most obvious symptom will be the gear lever jumping around like a demented animal.
Hope that makes sense, but it is necessary to know why you need to be checking your engine and gearbox mounts, as "windup" needs to be absolutely minimal. The clutch linkage needs to have no freeplay in any of the joints.
The axles will not stand much of this shuddering, the hubs might not either.
The clutch plate or pressure plate will contribute as well but if they work perfectly in first gear then head for the mounts.
Axle tramp involves the rear wheels losing traction, as when you attempt to reverse up a hill with loose gravel, and is not always cureable.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: