classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

New starter won't disengage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
FAB Cruiser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: New starter won't disengage Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I just fitted a hi-torque starter motor to my 66 MGB (3 synchro model).

It replaces the original inertia starter and still uses an external solenoid (which I also replaced) mounted on the wing.

The car started first time but on releasing the key there's a terrible screeching noise. My guess is the starter is not disengaging.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
David
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May not be releasing fully and started cog still toughing ring gear - try loosening fixing bolts slightly (very slight play) which will prove whether or not this is the problem
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
FAB Cruiser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil,

On an MG Midget forum I read a suggestion of adding spacers (presumably washers) but that would just create a gap for dirt to get into the gearbox.

I'll try slackening the bolts a bit first thing tomorrow and report how it goes.

cheers
David
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding whasher spacers is an well known tip for a worn Bendix - I used years 40 years ago and it does work but the fixings work loose - a full spacer shim is required and will keep dirt out as well although not sure that is really a problem with all the oil/clutch asbestos dust in there.

You should go back to the maker they may have one
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the new starter motor and check that the gear is the same distance away from the flange as the old starter, is this a pre-engaged type or an old bendix inertia type if the old one was inertia and the new one is pre-engaged then the ring gear may well be chewed up a bit causing the new starter not to release, if there is a difference on the height of gear to flange then make yourself a new spacer flange from a piece of flat metal the same thickness to make up the flange height as your old starter and use slightly longer bolt's, if all of this is ok then check that when you release the ign key no current is getting to the starter solenoid to hold it in engagement.
FAB Cruiser

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sorted now.

Moss contacted the manufacturer and the following day a new end plate arrived for the starter. It's thicker than the original one and moves the starter cog a few mill further out.

Thanks for all the advice.

Cheers
David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: