classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Condensers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Lomerc1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Condensers Reply with quote

Hi All

I have a 1923 Metallurgique car ( 4 cylinder, 2 litre) that was originally fitted with a Bosch Magneto. At some stage in its life the magneto has been converted to coil ignition and uses the magneto as a distributer.
In the future I intend to convert it back to magneto ignition but in the meantime I have a problem.
Recently the engine stopped running and in checking out the ignition system I determined that the condenser had failed as the engine started when I installed a new "universal" ( the parts shop words, not mine) condenser.

The question is that apart from the physical shape, how do you determine what capacity condenser I should use.
The car has a 12V system with a Lucas coil with a voltage reducer ( resister?) on it. The condenser I took of it had no markings to show what the micofarad rating was.

What happens if you use a condenser that does not have the correct capacity?
Why are there different capacities?

I might add that I dont understand the technicalities of the ignition system at all so if you have a solution please keep it simple

David
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A standard coil set up will run on almaost any standard auto condensor and mots are so called universal these days - the difference in MOST specific ones are the mounts and terminals only
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil is right, but just one thing to watch for if it has a ballast restistor it may be a bit more picky about its condenser. The physical size is a clue, or just go for any old condenser and if it starts and ticks over but misfires when given some revs suspect the condenser is the wrong value. Or do the easy thing and fit an electronic ignition amp.
Good luck.
Dax Rush
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nominally 0.22Ωf

http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/ignitiontext.htm
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: