classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

battery acid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
steammart

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: battery acid Reply with quote

Hi all

my car came with what i believe is an old (new) battery. can i put acid in the battery and begin to use it?

cheers

Martin
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a dry, charged battery then putting acid in it will do no harm. I do not know if they deteriorate over time and I would always give them a charge before using them. Try it and see, I was going to say "suck it and see" but that is not very sensible.
Dax Rush
paulbrook

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is old old stock then it is unlikely to be dry charged and you will need to lift it up (there are guides on t'interweb). Its a sort of slow charge at varying rates to ensure that the plates dont get damaged and not too much gas boils up.

If it is newish but old (post 1990) then it may well be dry charged and you should find that the acid alone will activate it.

Take a lot of care in either case, as both quickly form gas and the the cells can spit.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are thinking of "playing" with acid, this may be useful.

http://www.battery-acid.co.uk/battery-acid-safety

Back in the 60's 70's, when I worked in the mining industry, there was a department where replenishing batteries was an everyday job and Sulphuric Acid at the correct S.G was readily available. I remember extending the life of several batteries by replacing the acid.

Batteries were a real pain back then, I don't miss them one little bit.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulbrook wrote:
If it is old old stock then it is unlikely to be dry charged and you will need to lift it up (there are guides on t'interweb). Its a sort of slow charge at varying rates to ensure that the plates dont get damaged and not too much gas boils up.

If it is newish but old (post 1990) then it may well be dry charged and you should find that the acid alone will activate it.

Take a lot of care in either case, as both quickly form gas and the the cells can spit.

We had dry charged batteries in stock back in the 1960s. The shelf life was claimed to be measured in years. However, we always found a topping up charge was advisable after filling and "soaking" time and the shelf life was much less than claimed.

My Dad supervised stock buying and ordered these, and he retired because of poor health in 1970. Which helps me with the dates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: