classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Chrysler problems solved - finally!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Keith D

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Chrysler problems solved - finally! Reply with quote

My 1926 Chrysler was restored back on the road in 2007, although I had been working on it on and off for twenty years! Back in the mid eighties I took the starter and generator to a large auto electics company and got the pair reconditioned.
Then they sat on a shelf in my workshop for about twenty years gathering dust and breeding red back spiders!
The first run I took the car on was a ten day rally through the south west of this state. The second morning out I was greeted by an unholy screeching noise as I idled the car. I went into panic mode and tried to find out the problem. Fortunately one of the entrants in the rally was a retired RAC mechanic and he twigged the problen very quickly. The Delco Remy generator was fitted with oilite bushes and over the years on the shelf they had dried out! Plenty of oil over several days and the problem was solved!
The reconditioned starter, also a Delco Remy died after a few runs in the car and the company who reconditioned it 20 years earlier told me to get lost, even though it had done no work! Since then I have fitted countless starters that I have scrounged, borrowed and begged from everybody. All pretty useless. Yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and take a boot full of starters to a young auto electrician new in business. I collected the starter this afternoon that he has rebuilt using all my box of bits plus some professional TLC.
Result - the Chrysler motor spins over like a 12v car! (It's only 6v)
Moral - Get things fixed properly when they go wrong!

Keith (very happy!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: