classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

My Rover fails it's MOT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: My Rover fails it's MOT. Reply with quote

I took the P5b for an MOT the other day,the first one in my ownership.I was reasonably confident ,I'd done a bit of welding,adjusted brakes,greased up and checked everything in sight.
On the short trip I thought for a second something hit my leg but couldn't see anything and nothing felt any different so I guessed I'd imagined it..
After booking in the car was wheeled in and the very first thing to check was the brake lights,which refused to work. Unperturbed the fitter carrried on and everything else was fine,he complimented the car on its condition but handed over a failure."Not to worry" he said "Probabably just a wire off,connect it back up in the car park and run it back in"
The switch had in fact fallen to bits,the spring inside it was the thing that hit my leg.The switch wasn't repairable so I had to take it home,find up a replacement and take it back the following day.
A silly mistake,but for a fairly complex fourty year old car its not too bad is it?.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naff plastic switch anyway used on Land Rovers and Vauxhall Astras
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing amused me,a younger mechanic had never seen wiper blades that don't touch the screen when parked.He was convinced it should have failed on that.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news on the pass bd, another year of Rover-ing ahead Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey doesn't time fly when you're having fun,its a year round and the Rovers been back for another MOT.
This time it passed without any drama and no advisories (which I'm told are now pretty much a thing of the past) The tester did comment on an oil leak but said they all do anyway so let it go without mention.
I changed a brake pipe before going as I noticed one had a bit of pitting and replaced the cork on the brake level warning light switch as it had a habit of flashing at odd times,other than that nothing.
Parked so close to the sea means the cars get a spray of oil or similar underneath every so often,I don't like taking it in all covered in oil so its up on the ramps when it gets home.

Kelsham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting that you replaced the cork in the brake reservoir.

The one on My XJS is sinking. I was hesitating about using a bottle cork in case the brake fluid dissolved it.

Also having trouble finding a suitable cork.

I understand it is soon to be a MOT failure if not working. I disconnected the wires and sneaked past two days ago. Now the exhaust is blowing.

Regards Kels.
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,I've used a bottle cork before and never had a problem with it dissolving,when you think about it they lay bottles of wine on their side for years.
The old cork floats seem to end up saturated and only just able to float.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: