classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Conversion to auto-reverse brakes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
CitroenCrazy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Conversion to auto-reverse brakes Reply with quote

I'll apologise in advance for upsetting any originality freaks.........

But......I have a wonderful Swedish SMV10 caravan, from 1965 (same age as me).
The only thing I don't like is the manual reverse-lockout on the brakes, which is a bit of a faff.

I remember hiring a modern car trailer a while back & delighting at how effective the auto-reverse brakes were.

I'm wondering whether it's practical to convert my caravan to use this style of brake. As far as I know, the "intelligence" is built into the brake-shoe mechanics, so it would be a question of changing either the complete axle, or the hub & brake assemblies.

Anyone ever tried ?

There's a caravan breakers only a few miles from me, so getting the parts may not be too expensive.
Dalek63

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easy way is to is to put a 12 volt solenoid onto the manual reverse-lockout lever. Run a wire to a switch in the car dash and when you need to reverse flip the switch, the solenoid pulls the lever and you can reverse brakeless. Use either a spare wire in your lighting socket or if you have none use a small two pin socket and plug for the new wireing. That way you dont have to change the axel or brake system at all.
CitroenCrazy

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: solenoid Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks, that's a good idea. I have given some thought to that option.

One of the reasons I haven't adopted it was a concern that one has to be sure the "ram" is fully extended, which took me into further contemplation of limit switches & optical sensors.

I may still try what you suggest, I just wanted to get a feel for whether converting to modern brakes is considered a viable option first.

There are other potential benefits, in that the wheels, brake shoes etc on the caravan at the moment are obscure sizes, certainly in the UK, if not it its home country.

Andrew
ajlelectronics

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is even easier if there is a 12S socket. The reverse light connections appear there so fully automatic control available. I found with my Monza that it needed a good tug, maybe it was just stiff! However, something like a starter motor solenoid would probably be worth a try.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father had a little thing in the front of the car that would operate the reverse overide lever and also provide a visual and audible warning should it not be safe to reverse.

I used to call it "mimum" Laughing
Knowsley

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old Royale predates automatic reversing brakes so likewise I have to get out of the car and click the switch back on the a-frame

I had brought an old Marwood Reversing unit which were popular things in the early 1970's which were also fitted to many Carlight and Cheltenham vans that with a flick of a switch on the dash board of the car moved a solenoid and disabled the vans brakes. Thing is I've actually got rather attached to the old version now and jumping out of the car to flick the switch to me is just part of the fun of owning an old van.....although I also remember the joys of getting my first van which had automatic brakes too so its a bit like horses for courses!

Automatic Reversing brakes didn't really come into effect until late 1973 early 1974 and personally I think it unwise to replace the axle and running gear. Far simpler as members have already mentioned and fit a solenoid of some sorts

As such the Marwood Reverse Master is redundant at the moment until such a time I decide what to do with it, having brought it off eBay from an elderly gentleman a few years back

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: