classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Standard Vanguard Phase 2 Diesel saloons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds'
Daniel H

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Standard Vanguard Phase 2 Diesel saloons Reply with quote

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/134786

How cool is this? Cool Same seller has another two of them, but rather worse for wear. Sad
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite slooowwwwwww and noisy if I remember right from an article some time ago, not one for me I'm afraid. There can't be many chugging around now I bet Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Richard H

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferguson tractor engine! Got to be honest, I'd prefer a petrol one, but I'd run NTR just like that Cool
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they has Perkins deisels?
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect car in my oppinion, featuring Diesel power, over the petrol engine, hehe Only as I am good at fixing Diesel!

Add this to slow and noisy, I feel right at home!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
Perfect car in my oppinion, featuring Diesel power, over the petrol engine, hehe Only as I am good at fixing Diesel!

Add this to slow and noisy, I feel right at home!

your mopeds would be quicker Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never realised there ever was such a beast! Certainly not "off the shelf".
I thought the first such car was produced by Mercedes (190D ?). Though there were a few converted cars fitted with engines like the Perkins P3.
Jim.
BigJohn

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They built 1973 of them inc. estates between 1954 and 1955. 4cyl 2092cc (petrol was 2088cc). Overdrive 2nd/3rd and according to Sedgwicks A-Z of cars 1945-1970, Port Talbot steel works had a fleet of them.
Salopian

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely enough that Standard diesel engine found its way into early Austin FX3 taxis - I had one must have been around 1971 think it was reg no LUW 460 or similar. Always presumed Austin fitted it before their own diesel was ready. Probably the slowest car I've ever had. I seem to have spent much of my time behind that particular diesel as used to roll and harrow with a Fergi 20 as a kid and still use one to top my field.
And Phil its definately not a Perkins - although from the 3 cylinder on the Fergi 35s 65s etc were.
Mercedes produced a diesel car prior to WW2 as well.
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Perkins 4/99 diesel was fitted by Roots in the Hillman Minx about 1960 as an optional extra, had a friend years ago fitted Perkins 4/108 to a Humber Sceptre the square shaped model had a drive of it and thought he had done a very good job of it but after a few weeks someone wanted a car so he fitted the original eng and sold it , did the same with a Mk 1 Ford Granada 3lit auto fitted the same 4/108 and a transit manual box never quite finished it then ripped it all out and fitted original eng and box and sold that car!.
Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

Many a tale to be told a 4/108 perkins...would virtually fit or adapted to any vehicle in britain !! if i remember correctly,they had many engine mounting variations along the block--to facilitate insitu mods to six cylinder,V8 or the general four cylinder. Great little engine but not very high revving..good for 40 mpg in days gone by..

Cheers---Ray the Rocker....
bob2

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In days gone by the trend over here in malta was to fit the bmc diesel engine to anything, and when I say anything that includes even boats Shocked
My father in law had a 50s minx fitted with such an engine but the hunter escaped such fate since it was his sunday car, reason why I decided on keeping it since 3/4 of the hunters in Malta were also fitted with this diesel engine. Must say however that anything fitted with such engines was quite economic to run though slow.

Later on (say early 90s) the toyota diesel and turbo diesel engines took over.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob2 wrote:
In days gone by the trend over here in malta was to fit the bmc diesel engine to anything, and when I say anything that includes even boats Shocked
My father in law had a 50s minx fitted with such an engine but the hunter escaped such fate since it was his sunday car, reason why I decided on keeping it since 3/4 of the hunters in Malta were also fitted with this diesel engine. Must say however that anything fitted with such engines was quite economic to run though slow.

Later on (say early 90s) the toyota diesel and turbo diesel engines took over.

Many canal and river boats over here were and still are being fitted with BMC diesels of 1.5, 1.8 and 2.2litres. Some being still available brand new manufactured in India etc.
Amazingly economical engines when running at constant speed. An old BMC 1.5 fitted in a boat I had was more economical than than the smaller modern Kubota fitted in my last boat. Though that was large cruiser versus a narrowboat of similar length, so maybe hull design came into it.
Jim.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salopian wrote:

Mercedes produced a diesel car prior to WW2 as well.

One of the other pre-war adaptations that I'd love to have tried was the Bentley NK9008 fitted with a 5.5 litre Gardner Diesel. I wonder if this car still exists? Aparently at least 10 other vintage Bentleys have had Diesel engines in the past but this number has now dropped to zero.

Peter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds' All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: