classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Five minute job takes all day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Five minute job takes all day. Reply with quote

My taxi had a big leak on the bottom of the powersteering box (same box apparently as early land rover).I bought a set of seals,the drop arm took a bit of persuading but came off easily compared to some of the transit ones I've done.Then it just meant removing the circlip and seals under it.Some clown had broken off both ends of the circlip meaning it was impossible to remove with pliers.
After cleaning the whole box I took a chance and using a small angle grinder and a 1mm cutting disc I ground a fine slot down to the circlip.Using a ground down punch I managed to crack the remains of the circlip and get it out with a fine pointed scriber.
The seal was sutck solid but I driled a fine hole in it,inserted a self tapper and pulled on it with mole grips.Eventually the seal came out and the top seal was removed with a fine screwdriver ground down to a sharp cutting edge.
It took over five hours but i now have a leak free box.
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had same problem in the past but i drilled a small hole into the circlip groove from outside then use a small pin punch to remove the broken circlip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: