classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What's your oldest car radio?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you also have an American organ. It looks very like the one I had for many years. It was made by the Estey Organ Company of Brattleborough Vermont if my memory serves me correctly. I had it for about 35 years and never learned to play it so I sold it on eBay with a starting price of 99 pence.
There was only one bidder so that's what it went for.

Peter
johnmarshmanagain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya HMK

I can lend you a 405 line video tape and a channel 1 vhf sound/vision modulator, to work your telly, if you promise solemnly to return them ! That said, it would be surprising if the set shows a straight picture without some fettling to cap's, eg: in the sync sep section, hence the other forum Peter suggests being so useful - there's a chap on that forum based in Kilmarnock tagname murhpy v310 who will fix up the telly for very sensible money if you wish......

Again, that forum v.useful for help with car radios, especially wrt to the sixties sets, some of which have very moody transistors inside 'em, but are pretty fixable nonetheless. Plug plug the Vintage Wireless Co in Sale Chesh will retore all types and convert to VHF/FM and pop in an MP3 socket while he is at it !

I do not suggest the average tinkerer should play with valve car radios - 200v dc of ht (high tension) is bad news ! Stick with the trannie sets !!!!!!

Pip pip JM
bond at equipe dot fsnet dot co dot uk
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Welcome to this forum.

Peter Very Happy
HMK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John & thank you for your very kind offer.

I've put all the old radio & telly stuff to one side for the time being but I'll get back to you when I start 'playing' again.

You're right about the picture - I can tell by the raster that the frame lin is well out of range of the adjustment control, so the odd leaky cap there, I suspect.

AF116/117 four leg (screened) transistors in some of those early solid state car radios were the common trouble makers IIRC.

Peter - Yes you are correct with regards to the organ, that is the exact make....& yes, they are still not worth very much.

I was given that one quite a few years ago in a non-working state & repaired it. I do play it now & again....I have a couple of 'party pieces' Laughing

I think ebay is probably the wrong place to sell an item like that. They're not heavy, but they are large, so you are very limited to the type of buyer that is going to bid. A proper auction room is the best place for things like that. The auction house in my nearest city Lincoln is Thomas Mawer & I have seen them go for as little as £40 for a wreck & around £100 for better examples - still not a lot, though (although I haven't been to the sale rooms for several years now). Having said all that, for 99p it got it out of the way & it probably went to a good home, so that's the most important thing Wink
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you are talking a foreign language for most of us here. I assume a leaky 'cap' is a capacitor but what on earth is a 'raster'?

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
Salopian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raster is the display of lines on the screen and caps is caps as you say (or even condensors to me - its an age thing) at least I hope thats what HMK meant.

I have a large collection of data/service sheets for old car radios etc - if anyone wants a copy of any send me a PM with make & model no and I'll see if I've got it and email you one if so. Nothing for moderns I'm afraid.
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jonathan,

Would you by any chance have the service data for a Philco K628 or K728
car radio?

Kind regards,

Peter
Salopian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter
PM sent
JB
zagatoman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Car radio knob needed, please help Reply with quote

Hi, wondered if any of you well informed people could help me in my quest.

Just bought an original radio for my 1964 Vauxhall Victor FB but it was missing one knob. Would anyone know where I might get a couple of new knobs that look much the same to this or even better an exact match for the one in the picture.

The knob 20mm high 25mm wide at the base and 22mm wide at the top with a chrome domed insert.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

My email is: pwood13660@blueyonder.co.uk

Paul

john-saab

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of your radios make mine look new..i had a 6V PYE valve radio but that's in my friends Volvo PV444 now..here is my "modern" collection..i also have a few 8 track players!..

fuff66uk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where i might be able to get a radio as fitted to a 1961 Ford consul lowline please ?
Thanks
Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: