classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Interior and stopping stiching breaking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Interior and stopping stiching breaking. Reply with quote

Whats the best way to stop the actual stiching inleather seats from breaking?. Is it that the threaduses dries out or does it rot?. Is it a ood idea to rub wax in and are there some cleaning chemicals that make this worse?.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually once the stitching starts to break its down to old age of the thread. To stop a broken stitch from running it may be worth trying a small blob of clear nail varnish on the next loop. Otherwise its down to having new thread.
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good idea with the nail varnish,I'll give it a try.I suppose thread thats fourty odd years old is bound to be a bit suspect.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have mentioned, the worst thing for car leather seats is the use of those saddle soaps that are applied with damp sponge/cloth. Its a killer for the old thread. I have always used 'Liquid Leather' otherwise known as Gliptone.
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that,I had another mail from a retired leather worker.he advised me to use a neutral wax polish (Cherry Blossum).Worked in and then polished off with a very soft cloth. I tried it and the seats came up well,it was suprising how much dirt came off even though they have been cleaned.Apparently the answer is to keep applying 'little and often' so its absorbed into the leather.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes little and often, but please do try the Gliptone as it is wonderful stuff and imparts a genuine lovely leather odour. I don't have any association with the Company but it is the one product I advocate Smile
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the Gliptone and was very impressed.So much so that I've approached them to see if we can carry stocks of it to sell.
many thanks for pointing me in that direction.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: