classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

A day with a RO 80..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
bertie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: A day with a RO 80.. Reply with quote

Hello once again! It`s been a while since I last posted due to an unending influx of work and consequent tiredness Surprised .I feel sure you wouldn`t want to read about a never ending stream of wheeled laptop problems,but in the course of my work as a mechanic, as I`ve said before, something a little special comes along....

A real life original NSU RO 80. Unmolested, still with the rotary engine and in magnificent condition. After seeing it and paying respect to its time warp state, I set about what I was asked to do, replace the ageing front brake calipers and brake pads and bleed the system through. The front discs are inboard so all was accessible from under the bonnet and apart from a few expected hitches all went well Razz Once Brian and I had bled the braking system and hands were clean(ish in my part! Rolling Eyes ) a test drive was necessary of course! Laughing

The NSU is 35 years young in november, but in all honesty you wouldnt know as she went so well on the run, never missing a beat. Brian rather nicely and trustingly allowed me to take the reins after a while, I rather nervously sat behind the large and slim wheel. To the uninitiated, the RO was way ahead of its time, two floor pedals - accelerator and brake - the "clutch" consists of pushing down on the gearlever, selecting the appropriate gear, foot off the accelerator, releasing your slight downward pressure on the gear knob and foot back on the accelerator..it took me a while but under Brian`s calm encouragement, I managed Laughing This sounds a little strange, but how can you describe an old car feeling like a new car? Brian informed me that the mileometer was correct, and the old lady had only covered 10,000 miles from new! Well, job done etc, and back to the mundane Sad Cheers for your hospitality Brian, and it was a pleasure to meet you and your good lady. Sorry for the lack of pictures, but the mobile`s lens was a little fouled with brake fluid for some reason( Laughing ) and I was unable to take more as they undoubtedly would not have done this venerable old lady justice. Thanks for reading, take care.. Smile
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that you enjoyed your drive in my Ro80 Alan. Watch out though as they are infectious!

I watch other drivers and see how many notice that this is an old car - not many as it fits into todays traffic quite well.

I did have a cashier at the local Sainsbury's filling station come running out to have a look at it. He knew what it was.

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely,a true bit of motoring heritage.I went in one a few years back and they were miles ahead of their time.
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a light blue RO80 parked a couple of miles from me. Its in nothing like the condition of this one. It suddenly turned up but it does not seem to have had anything happen to it since. Keep intending to stop and have a look, but its off the beaten track and I am always going somewhere in a hurry when I pass. Would like to see if it still has its original rotary engine or if its been poluted with a V4 Ford or some such!

paul
22900013A

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating machine. I have never seen the back end of one, I guess the designers were on holiday that day?

Gear change mechanism sounds very unusual, will have to take a closer look if I ever get to see one of these in the metal.
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
22900013A wrote:

Gear change mechanism sounds very unusual, will have to take a closer look if I ever get to see one of these in the metal.

Sounds similar to the StandardMatic??????? query correct name.

The gear knob operated a solenoid which in turn operated the clutch.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: