classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Window winder arm snapped
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Window winder arm snapped Reply with quote

Way before electric motors made light work of opening car windows Rolling Eyes we used window crank handles, as we all know I'm sure. Well my handle has now snapped in half, I do not want to replace it with a mis-matched repro so would it be possible to have the winder repaired and where in East Anglia area or further afield by post. Thank you.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem now resolved. Smile
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How??

Paul
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAUL BEAUMONT wrote:
How??

Paul

I was just wondering that myself Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fellow enthusiast of the A7 club Norfolk fixed it for me. He drilled a very fine hole into each section of the broken arm and pinned it, joining the two halfs bach together using an epoxey resin. Smile I have now swapped the window winder arm from the back door to drivers door and the repaired one to rear passenger door. It all works well and will now give years of service again.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to do essentially the same to an old ticket punch & was considering using the same technique.
Can you find out how to accurately drill the 'fine hole' in both broken pieces so that they both line up? I'll bet there's some neat trick to doing this!
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope to see the fellow this Sunday at a car show. All I know at the moment is that it involves a pillar drill and careful manipulation, he did say it was a fiddle of a job.
P3steve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth taking the door trim off and giving the winder an oiling as it could be running a bit tight which caused the extra strain on the handle, I pulled the glass out of a runner on my standard ten once because the glass was a bit tight in the channels.
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

standardsteve wrote:
Might be worth taking the door trim off and giving the winder an oiling as it could be running a bit tight which caused the extra strain on the handle, I pulled the glass out of a runner on my standard ten once because the glass was a bit tight in the channels.

Thanks for tip Steve, now resolved the issues leading to the breakage as well. The handles and escutchins are made from mazak metal, this metal deteriorates with age and corrodes. The internal corrosion within the escution caused this item to swell and close the hole in which the winder slotted through, we are talking microns here. This in turn made winding down the window very stiff as the winder had almost 'frozen' up in the escutchin, it was this that strained the handle which itself has been weakened by internal corrosion. At some point in the future all of the handles and winders will have to be replaced but I think now after the maintenance they have received they should be OK for the next twenty years or so. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: