classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

antediluvian vehicle tool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
oldtimer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: antediluvian vehicle tool Reply with quote

I met up with a gentleman recently,well up in his eighties,who used to collect all things of an obscure and/or obsolete nature concerned with the development of early vehicles.Not done for hopes of financial gain but simply to bamboozle his pals apparently.
Well when he appeared in my favourite rural pub this time he had an old photo with him.This showed a tool, looking much like a car jack of the sort which operates under the sill(which I never liked) and my guess that it was just that was promptly rejected.He then enlightened me,says I,but I was none the wiser really.I was told it was a compressor used on vehicles with "split rim"wheels.The result is my ignorance of the tool is now doubled up by not knowing the first thing about "split rim wheels"
Will some kind soul shine some light into the darkness.
My thanks in anticipation.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early motor car wheel construction followed horse-drawn vehicle wheel construction with a hub fitted to the axle, wooden spokes (usually) the spokes' outer end entering a 'felloe' or 'fellie', also made of wood. Outside the felloe is a metal rim to hold the pneumatic tyre. With this system, tyre changing was done with the wheel on the car.

A development from that was to have 'demountable rims' where the wheel proper remained on the car, but the steel rim, along with the tyre could be removed. The rims was provided with four or more 'lugs' and bolts, to retain it in place on the felloe.

The base of the rim was completely flat, therefore it was difficult to change the tyre, but if the rim was 'split' i.e. in effect had a saw-cut across it in one place only, it could then be pulled away from the tyre, so releasing it, or when replacing the tyre, it would be placed over the contracted rim and the rim allowed to then return to its normal state before sliding the whole back onto the wheel. The tool that you describe would probably have three 'legs' to grip in the rim in three places, and when the winding mechanism actuated, the rim would be contracted, and slightly distorted, but with the result that it was smaller and would allow the tyre to slip either on or off as needed.

Description with words alone is a little difficult. I will see if I can find some photos or diagrams, unless someone else can beat me to it.

The fully demountable wheel, where the wheel itself bolted onto the hub was the next development, and the well-based rim, made the split rim redundant.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pictures, but first- do not be confused with the miss-named rims that were used mainly on commercial vehicles that had a spring steel locking ring forming one edge of the rim. These are often called 'split rim' but should more correctly be called 'locking ring rim'

Now to the true 'split rim' photos-

Here is a car wheel fitted with a demountable split rim- notice the four lugs and nuts holding the rim in place.

Here is a rim without tyre and off the wheel.

There are a variety of different locking devices to hold the split closed, here is one.

The rim tool in place to contract the rim away from the tyre.

Here is the tool on the empty rim.

oldtimer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: split rim wheels Reply with quote

Dane Roverdriver
Many,many thanks for your trouble and for the wonderfully lucid explanation of both elements.You have,at a stroke,saved me from many a sleepless night and also made it possible for me to return to my favourite pub without dreading a meeting with the chap who started all this in the first place!
Kind regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: