classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Coloured Brake Fluid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Greg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Coloured Brake Fluid Reply with quote

I thought I read a while back about different coloured Brake Fluid so when fully replacing the fluid, you could see the 'new' or different colour come through indicating you'd flushed out all the old.
I thought I read it on this forum somewhere but maybe mistaken as I can't seem to locate it.
I know you can get 'Blue' fluid, (same DOT rating) mainly for racing due to the higher boiling point, has anyone had experiences with using it in their 'Street car'?
Thank you,
Greg
exbmc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: brake fluid Reply with quote

When bleeding brakes, you can see the colour change as the new clean fluid comes through the nipple. It is only though, a change from a honey shade to clear. For a road car, you don't really need any better than dot4. Some say that you can make problems for yourself, using silicone based dot5 in a system previously filled with dot4. Any water left in the pipes, stays as water, because silicone does not absorb it. This can lead to internal pipe corrosion, more than with dot4 which is hygroscopic, and holds water within itself. The only time i have used dot5, was in a Beagle Pup aircraft. This had both master cylinders replaced, and all the pipework, finally, the calipers were cleaned and resealed. After about 5 years, the fluid is still clean, and maintains it's hint of blue.
Some cars years ago, had Girling brakes, and needed a crimson Girling fluid, while Lockheed brakes used a clear fluid like today. I don't know when the crimson fluid ceased to be needed, but would guess early 70's.
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: brake fluid Reply with quote

Hi
exbmc wrote:

Some cars years ago, had Girling brakes, and needed a crimson Girling fluid, while Lockheed brakes used a clear fluid like today. I don't know when the crimson fluid ceased to be needed, but would guess early 70's.

I believe that the claim that you MUST use the correct manufacturers fluid was shown up as a sales con when a car maker (BMC I believe) had to fit different maker's components in a single system because of unavailablity due to strike action

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Inglewood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: brake fluid Reply with quote

Girling Crimson brake fluid was used in drum-brake systems. It was not recommended/used in disc brake systems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: