classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Degreaser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
thethomascartel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Degreaser Reply with quote

I'm just about to start painting my caravan chassis. It's all rubbed down and I've got virtually all the 40 years of road grime, grease and oil off the chassis. But I'm struggling to get the last bits off. I've used gunk, petrol, white spirit and still a residue. When I scrape my finger along it in certain parts I can feel it. I am a fussy bugger but I don't want to waste all the money I've spent on POR-15 if there is still grease on it. Any ideas ? I'm considering maybe brake cleaner or even mr muscle as a last resort.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried Panelwipe?
Dax Rush
D4B

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panel wipe is your best bet now, avoid anything that might have
silicone in as it will make the new paint craze (or is it craize)

Good Luck
dalbuie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the stuff from http://www.bilthamber.com/pro-introduction.php?cname=Degreasing%20::%20Cleaning&name=surfex%20HD very good.

I usually rub this on with a brush (after diluting) and then power wash off before painting the underneath of the car.

Going to try their Dynax UB this year.
thethomascartel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up buying some 'gunk ultra' on the way home. Sprayed it on, left it for ten mins rather than the stated two, then sprayed more on a brillo pad, and hand scrubbed the whole bloody thing. Took ages. Then jetwashed it clean. I think it is now all off. What a horrible job !! When it dries out I will use the POR-15 metal ready prep and then paint with POR-15.
thethomascartel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalbuie wrote:
I find the stuff from http://www.bilthamber.com/pro-introduction.php?cname=Degreasing%20::%20Cleaning&name=surfex%20HD very good.

I usually rub this on with a brush (after diluting) and then power wash off before painting the underneath of the car.

Going to try their Dynax UB this year.

I'm liking that product and the price. Next time i'll give it a go.
dalbuie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was younger I remember there being a few places you could take your car to get a pressurised steam wash of the chassis and engine. Wish there was still such places as it would make the winter prep so much easier!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: