classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MGB GT V8 build
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
3xpendable

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: MGB GT V8 build Reply with quote

In tandem with my dads Hillman Imp restoration, I thought I’d introduce you all to my MGB GT V8 project. Here is the car when purchased (2008) as a rolling shell but lots of spares and already converted to chrome bumper:

The engine bay had been primered over all the dirt and grease!

The wings had been fillered flat, presumably for a ‘de-seamed’ look

Upon removal it seems that this fillering was done as a quick fix to cover some rust. The ‘beading’ from the wing had rusted to the scuttle so when I removed them it left this damage. I don’t think repair sections are available but access is good from behind so I will be fabricating new sections myself.

When trying to remove the O/S wing it took me about 30 minutes because it was still seized solid after removing all the bolts. I eventually yanked it off and found that where the upper splash guard had rotted away from the inner wing, they had filled it with builders spray foam that had stuck the wing on! I think this car has been ‘restored’ by 2 people. The original person who has done a very good job and fitted new castle rails, jacking points, sills etc. Then the guy I bought it from who has tried to shortcut things and filling holes with fiberglass etc! Looking at the shall the only welding I think it will need is a pair of new inner wing upper splash guards, and the triangular section in front of them. These have a few pin holes which have been fibeglassed but I will be replacing them with new ones.

Underside is excellent

I sourced a 3.5 litre Rover P6 short nose motor, but 2 of the bores were rusted out so I scrapped the block but kept all the short nose parts. I will now be fitting a 3.9 engine.

Here is the shell as it looks now. 99.9% stripped and ready to be fitted to the rollover jig

Stripped was easy due to most of the bolts being new (lucky me). The crossbar in the image below was for a ‘soundsystem’ the previous owner was going to fit but I shall be relocating it to use as a harness strap for the harnesses and period bucket seats I am fitting.

Next job is the get the shell on a jig and begin the repairs noted above, along with the V8 modifications. This includes extending the height of the transmission tunnel slightly, centralising the fuel tank and making a second lip in the rear valence for the exhausts. I hope to fit a webasto roof but am having trouble finding a frame at the moment and can’t afford to pay a fortune for a new one. Once this is done I’ll be blasting or dipping it back to bare metal and then painting it. The underside and front/rear suspension will be coated with Frost POR 15 and seam sealant etc…then the rebuild can slowly begin.

I hope you enjoy, and look forward to words of encouragement.
1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa (Uncle)
1971 MGB GT (V8 project) -SOLD 2016
2005 MINI Cooper S JCW - SOLD 2016
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Welshie, welcome to the forum - look forward to following the build of this (and the Imp!). Will you be leaving the exterior of the 'B' looking standard?

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
3xpendable

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Hi Welshie, welcome to the forum - look forward to following the build of this (and the Imp!). Will you be leaving the exterior of the 'B' looking standard?

Rick

Many thanks Rick. It will be a slow progress but I hope to get some encouragement.

I had considered a Sebring bodykit but prefer the standard "wolf in sheeps clothing' look, I ultimately want it to look a bit like the Bullit Mustang so apart from some better wheels and twin exhausts sticking out it will look standard. I prefer the clean original look.
3xpendable

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First job done. I removed the front suspension as a whole, stripped it and cleaned/painted it. Some of the bodges were horiffic and had i known I wouldnt have towed the car home. Firslt some of the spring pan bolts had no nuts, and while the 2 anti-roll bar links are new, someone has forced a car wheelnut onto one, cross threading it. The only way to get it off was to drill the nut and of course the arm is useless. Idiots.

Here is the assembly removed from the car.

I've been told that the longer, rubber bumper steering rack mounts can crack when wider tyres and/or more loads are placed on them so I welded gussets to either side of both mounts to give it some better stiffness

Crossmember and suspension parts painted in 2 coats of POR-15 chassis black. I'll be getting lowered and stiffer springs and polybushes soon.

More photos when I make more progress
3xpendable

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I can't believe its been a year since the bodyshell got stripped down and apart from painting the front suspension little progress has been made Sad HOWEVER, until today!!!! I'm so excited I had to post some pictures.

After cutting away the worst of the rusty metal over the winter I finally got a dry day where I was able to get the shell out of the polytunnel to do the much needed grinding, check out the cool shell trolley...

Ground out the remaining metal and spot welds off bother the rusty areas of the inner wings on both sides

And finally cut out the infected areas at the bottom of the A posts. A lot of shaping will be needed but I figured it best to cut this out properly so that no rust will spread/come back

More pics over the next few days when I weld the repair sections in.
3xpendable

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the repair sections for the wings fitted yesterday, and despite them being BMH repair panels they required quite a bit of fettling to fit. Before fitting I sprayed them with Zinc Rich Weld Thru primer then seam sealed them with seam sealer.

Fitment plate for the remote oil filter fitted to the inner wing

Rear axle painted

The Rover LT77 gearbox that will be fitted is taller and so requires a taller transmission tunnel. It can either be 'dressed' (beaten with a hammer) or I preferred the more professional method of making a taller plate.

The wings have now been fitted to give a guideline to the shape the base of the windscreen repairs

3xpendable

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotten a bit despondant with the car today, I went to coat the inner wings with POR 15 rust preventative paint before I put the POR 15 chassis black on top but some of the underseal thats left seemed to react with it. Its the factory applied stuff and its pretty well put on there so I scraped/wirebrushed what I could off and hoped to paint over it but this may demand a rethink.

I then went to seam seal the underside and the paint (which again looks like underseal) the previous owner had applied after fitting new castle rails and sills reacts with the seam sealer turning the paint into an oily goo which the sealer wont stick to Sad I'll get the car on its side tomorrow and have a better look when I feel in a better mood over it.
3xpendable

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought i;d show you the repair of the base of the A-posts. Dad made up some pattern plates and welded them elaborately

This was the shaping done, initially with fibrofill as its flexible and won't crack.

This will be shaped more finely with a skim of filler now.

Cleaned all the underseal from the engine bay and scraped off any non keyed paint

A new wing was put on the car, yet they filled this entire area with fibreglass?! Its been removed and repair sections will be welded in when we relocate the fuel tank

Got the car on its side and scraped off the loose underseal and paint ready for painting

3xpendable

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have got the engine bay & interior painted, and undersealed the inner wings

I'll get the car on its side to paint the rest of the underneath when the rear wing repairs noted earlier are carried out and the modifications for the centralised fuel tank are done. Talking of the fuel tank. I removed the said item from my 'donor' car and it turns out its had a stainless steel fabricated tank made that fitted to the original mounting points, result! Its slightly narrower than the standard tank but this works out perfectly for clearance with my twin exhaust pipe layout. I'll scrape the poorly keyed paint off the tank and may or may not re coat it. When using the car over the last 4 years fuel capacity was good so i have no worries there.

I had intended to carry over the 'battery in the boot' solution from my donor car to the new car, but seeing this has put me off.

A post repairs are almost complete, because the wing profiles differ side to side they have been shaped according to each wing being fitted

Reached a milestone yesterday on Saturday 24th September. The rebuild of the car began!

I removed these vents from my 1971 GT, and when fitting them to the shell noticed the 77 car only has two holes instead of a four. Must have been a BL cost cutting measure!

3xpendable

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished painting the underside with underseal. I used Schutz as its plyable but also a LOT cheaper than POR-15

I found that if you 'stipple' it with the brush it removes any brush marks and looks more professional

The back axle is now fitted

Engine bay with the crossmember and steering rack fitted

Front suspension built up

I modified the bump stops for the lower ride height by cutting and welding them together, removing the aluminium spacer.

Project V8 is now rolling! Front and rear suspension and the steering is fitted so I took dad out for lunch to celebrate Very Happy

3xpendable

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit one snag the next morning. I went out and found a pool of oil in the floor from the n/s/f damper. Its annoying as I inspected both of them before painting and fitting so i've taken a good one off the donor car and will paint and fit it next week.
3xpendable

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much work done the last few weeks due to time and weather constraints. I also found out the bulkhead where the heater pipes connect to has been cut away on me new shell so i'm having to make a plate along with finishing off centralising the fuel tank before respraying the shell. I also decided on the colour, Dark British Racing Green.

Aside from that I got the heater back together. Using a new seal kit from Brown & Gammons I also perfected my spraying technique and for the first time I did a good job. I painted the inside white to reflect heat and I flushed out the matrix before refitting. Instead of buying new clips i sandblasted the old ones and sprayed them gold, i'm pretty pleased with the results.

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming along eh, so at what point do you trial fit the engine?

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
3xpendable

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah coming along isn't it? Next step is to get the shell painted before the cold of winter sets in. That then gives it quite a while to harden as i'm fitting up the interior etc.

As for the engine, hopefully it won't need a 'trial fit' as the later MGB shells (as this one is) were built with the V8 ready to install. The engine mounts and rad mounts etc are moved forward. The only modification i should have to do is to the gearbox crossmember is I use a different gearbox to the original.

Then there is the issue of actuall getting an engine....
3xpendable

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know I haven't forgotten about the old girl. But i've started a new job lately so the hassle of that (and time, darn jobs) took me away from the MGB. However we have also been finishing off the longly awaited (15yrs) inspection pit and concreted floor my father and brother have mostly done. Its a joy to use as its nice and big and will allow a lot of jobs to be easily done. So after christmas I shall be going home put the car over the pit and help dad finish the welding on the rear quarter, relocating the fuel tank and fitting the heater panel I mentioned earlier. After that it can be primered though we might wait for the worst of the cold to pass before doing the top coat.

Another plus, my min. 6 months contract job gives me lots of money to spend on it and I have a feeling once I get the wiring loom and engine/box, things will progress much quicker.

More piccies soon!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: