classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Sewing Machine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Kelsham

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Sewing Machine Reply with quote

Hi all, I am seeking advice about setting sewing machine tension.
I have been given an Alfa sewing machine that I intend using to make up the bench seats for my 1931 BSA fourwheeler.

Sadly I seem unable to get the tension right, I get loose loops underneath the material. and seem unable to get tight even stitching. I have adjusted top and bottom tension without success any advice would be welcome.
I have also changed the needle Tried leather and Jeans type.
Regards Kels.
traction39

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not an expert, and I guess this is a Standard - not industrial machine? Usually looping means that the upper tension is incorrect...did you thread it under tension with the foot raised and the thread is between the tension discs?
Make sure the thread has been tugged through the discs i.e taut when threading.
Is the thread threaded correctly? Do you have a manual? Often can be downloaded from web...?
Check presser foot is giving enough pressure.
As you can see there are a few variables...I have been up this route and was hit and miss to get it right, and even then I still have problems. My next step is to service the machine...professionally!!
Kelsham

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: sewing machine Reply with quote

thanks for the reply, I bought a cd off ebay for the machine. I have been trying to get it to work for about a week on and off.

Tried all the suggestions you made. I am beginning to wonder what effect the bobbin has, I have tried altering the tension on it but without success.

Yes it is not an industrial machine.

Maybe it is just not suitable, although I used a similiar machine a few years back.

regards Kels.
traction39

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the bobbin threaded correctly? Is the thread correct for the fabric?
With respect to the CD..is the auto start not starting when you put it in the CD drive? If not go to the device under my computer and right click and open...or am I teaching you to suck eggs!!!? Just a thought.
Kelsham

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: sewing machine Reply with quote

Badly written sorry, The CD is OK, its the sewing machine not working.

I seem to be going in circles, at one point I was testing on modern vinyl and it was working.
When I changed to testing the old rexine type material I want to use. I was back to where I started.
Sadly my attempt to reset means it no longer works on the modern vinyl.

Kels.
Kelsham

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: sewing machine Reply with quote

Badly written sorry, The CD is OK, its the sewing machine not working.

I seem to be going in circles, at one point I was testing on modern vinyl and it was working.
When I changed to testing the old rexine type material I want to use. I was back to where I started.
Sadly my attempt to reset means it no longer works on the modern vinyl.

Kels.
traction39

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it is the tension...trial and error and much cursing...and then the bobbin runs out!!!
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid it's the classic mistake if you alter any setting's on anything to try and cure a problem and by doing so and it do's not make any difference put he setting's back to where they were that way one do's not turn a minor problem into a major one,just asked my wife a former dressmaker and she suggested a thicker needle and thicker thread may help and also increase the tension on the bobbin [which you may have done ]and or slacken the tension on the top thread hope this helps.
Kelsham

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: sewing machine Reply with quote

The wife was making noises about decorating the spare bedroom, seemed advisable to return to repairing the sewing machine.

New needle, leather type, new thread, thick, then thinner. Top tension from low to high. Bobbin tension low to high. Eventually managed to get acceptable results, but every now and then the back stitching seems to be loose.

I am thinking of hiring an industrial machine, presumably this would have a larger range of material it could sew without adjustment being required.

Thanks for your replies so far. Regards Kels.
traction39

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the industrial one.....speed will be your added problem!!! Well it was for me!!! Very Happy
traction39

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine you will be hiring a "walking foot" machine...leather work etc.?
Kelsham

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: sewing machine Reply with quote

Yes, i have been offeredthe chance to hire a walking foot machine. Just need to get the material together for all the jobs that I have hanging about. Probably after Xmas now.

Regards Kels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: