classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rover P5B - Quiet..My new project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Rover P5B - Quiet..My new project. Reply with quote

I've always like quiet cars,I remember many years back being envious of a mates humber imperial because at tick over it was impossible to tell if it was still going.
I'm renewing and updating the soundproofing etc on my P5b. I used to have a six cylinder version and that was quieter but even then the engine was audible. I've just replaced the underbonnet blanket with thick felt and amongst other things replaced a load of grommets on the bulkhead.I've replaced the felt under the carpets and I must be getting somewhere because I can now hear the speedo cable ticking which I never could before.The next job will be the door rubbers,I havent put anything inside the doors they seem heavy enough without.
I know I'm probably wasting my time but I'm enjoying myself anyway.Anyone else got any suggestions?.
Farmer John

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day,
The pursuit of silence, great quest, wanted to tell you of an idea I came across recently.
Fibreglass resin is thickened with something called microballoons and it turns out that these can be added to latex paint and the resulting mixture brushed on. The idea appeals because of ease of use and the possibility to apply anywhere.
The best sound deadening materials such as Dynamat contain lead sheet, weight you do not want although they are really effective by all accounts.
Manufacturers stick various materials to panels to stop them drumming.
Stir in as much of the microballoons as possible, there is a ratio somewhere on the net, the idea came from a proprietary brand of insulation.
Just an opinion, hopefully someone has tried it.

John
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing the same thing, have also found several grommets in the bulkhead that are missing, and recently bought some closed-cell foam to replace the old felt that I've got under the carpet. Then I took it to Bodelwyddan Castle in July and noticed that above 60mph, it's all wind noise anyway, so haven't done much more.
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of 'Wind noise'

Can anyone recomend some typr of ear defenders, not the bulky machine shop type.

Due to the fact that the DLM has no screen I find that even with a leather helmet on, the wind noise can be a bit overbearing, leaving me with ringing ears after a long drive.

I have tried removing the padded parts from a set ear defenders and wedging them under the helmet, a little bit better but still a lot of wind noise.

How do the bikers cope.
Any ideas please

Roger
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get ear plugs and even acoustic cotton wool.I've used both when operating noisy machinery.
Come to think of it I suppose I could drive the rover wearing them!
I found replacing missing and damaged grommets made the biggest difference so far.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger-hatchy wrote:
Talking of 'Wind noise'

Can anyone recomend some typr of ear defenders, not the bulky machine shop type.

Any ideas please

Roger

Although there are big differences in performance between different brands it might be worth trying a pair of noise canceling headphones.
I have a cheap pair that I've been using on planes for years now and they make a huge reduction in engine roar. The little batteries also last much longer than is suggested in manufacturers' data. I'd have thought 15 to 20 hours if not in continuous use.

Peter

p.s. Actually having thought some more about this microphones are not good with wind noise unless shielded by a muff, so you might need to modify NC headphones.
BigJohn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noise cancelling headphones? Aldi this Thursday 18th.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_20330.htm

John
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article about Jaguar in the seventies.One trick that their engineers used was to stuff cotton wool (pink apparently although presumably the colour didn't matter) behind the dash boards on press cars to make them quieter.
I think I'll send the wife to Superdrugs for a few dozen bags of cotton wool buds and have a trial!.
Desperatdan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Earmuffs Reply with quote

I use earplugs whilst on the Bike, in my opinion the foam ones are the best, you squash them together so that they go in, then they expand and more or less seal you ear so theres no draght iether. Also allways have a pack around in the workshop in case it gets a little loud;-)

Dan.
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I renewed the felt under the carpets and that covering the transmission tunnel and the vehicle seems quieter as a result.
It seems from reading various articles on the net etc that quietness and weight go together in that the most effective sound deadeners are heavy.Sealing the holes in the bulkhead and improving the sealing round the doors didn't add much weight and has lowered wind noise.
The ear plugs are still probably the easiest and most cost effective solution though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: