classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

When one job leads to another..... Triumph Stag
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: When one job leads to another..... Triumph Stag Reply with quote

Do you ever start a simple job and then end up doing a load of other jobs?

A few months ago the Stag “quill shaft” (sits between the prop shaft and diff & links the rear trailing arms) sheered, this resulted in an immediate loss of drive and because the trailing arms are now no properly secured, the rear adopts massive negative camber, this also pulls the handbrake on! Fortunately this all occurred about half a mile from home and I trailer the car back.

The plan was to simply swap the quill shaft and get the car back on the road possibly half a day’s work... however one job led to another...last MOT there was an advisory about the condition of the trailing arm bushes, as half the dismantling to remove the trailing arms would already be done, it seemed like a good time to tackle this job, I also notices a slight weep from one of the rear shocks, so may as well replace these at the same time, as I was doing this it seemed like a good idea to replace all the rear end bushes and mounts as this would only really entail the additional task of removing the diff, probably now a week end job...

Qill Shaft Sheered where it conects to the diff

Removing the stag sub frame involves taking the rear half of the exhaust system off, when I did this I noticed the exhaust brackets had seen better days, never mind only a quick job to replace them, the hand brake cable was frayed so rather than put the old one back better replace that too.

With the drive shafts disconnected from the diff, I found that the offside one’s sliding joint had completely seized, possibly this lack of movement may have led to the failed quill shaft? A good used one was sourced but wouldn’t arrive for a few days.

So what started out as a job I planned to sort out in a day, stretched over a number of weekends! I was pleased to get the car all back together, but cosmetically it looked a bit of a mess! There were my oily hand prints all over it, these would clean up, but I have not done anything with the Stags bodywork in the 6 years I have owned it, there was cosmetic rusty bits on most panels, the passenger door had some advanced corrosion on the bottom half , I had bought a new skin some time ago but never got round to fitting it, and the car had a few little dents all over it, some were on it when I bought it others occurred in by ownership. There was nothing for it, I had to sort the dents out and then the only real option would be a complete respray! Winter is not the best time to paint a car, the paint didn’t really flow right and took quite a bit of compounding to sort it out, but it’s all done!

So some 3 months after the car originally broke down I’m close to having it back on the road, it needs to be MOT (booked in next week) ....the driver’s seat does need recovering but I have managed to resist !

Broken Quill Shart

Shiney New Bushes!

And a fresh coat of paint!

Next time I'm going to try to stick to the job in hand!

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice re-furb - at the Horseshoe this year?

Reminds me of the problems I had setting the handbrake cable on the last Spit I had, every time I let it back down off the axle stands the wheels would splay out, locking the handbrake on. Even with the wheels taking the weight while I was underneath, it took a few goes to get it right.

I'll move this to the Your Cars .. Triumph category, rather than here (Classic Motorcycles etc).

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car you have there Cool
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe know what you mean Dave, its usually the same for me although maybe not to that extent!!
I've been known to take a week to change a water pump on minis actually Laughing

It always ends up as a nice engine bay though!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: