classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

cylindered torque - re-torque
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
jessejazza

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: retorque Reply with quote

Kelsham wrote:

BMC used to advise tightening critical joints leave them overnight and then retighten. When I did this on my 1800 Morris I was surprised how much the tension had relaxed overnight.

The TR7 head gasket advice is to retighten more than once, I doubt the studs are stretching.

Regards Kels.

My understanding with 70's engines with HEAD BOLTS like the Ford Essex which i've had some experience of is once tightened leave. You shoudn't find they will tighten further. When the engine heats up the head and block will expand and the head bolt with them - the head bolt stretches into its elastic region. Loosening each and then retorguing carries the risk of unseating the head gasket.

HEAD STUDS are rather different e.g. Herald or aluminium like the Reliant, Imp. Studs don't stretch extending into their elastic region in quite the same way. When the engine heats up the head gasket will be compressed in a different manner to head bolts. The aluminium heads will expand more than a cast iron head so torque values are correspondingly lower. With studs you'll often have to; retighten the following morning, after first run or say 50 miles, after 200 miles, after 500. Each time you'll find the bolts will turn maybe 1/4 turn - 1/2 turn. Retorque is perhaps not a good term to use - you just check the torque with the torque wrench you don't back off and then tighten up. As soon as they don't need tightening... leave job done. I've done a few of these engines... head bolts are much better!
exbmc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Head Torque Reply with quote

I too was taught to slack and retorque headnuts, as Jim describes.
On the BMC A and B series, the head nuts are half exposed, and the rest under the rocker cover. The young lads were told by the foreman,on a 1st service, to slack (1/4 turn only) the nuts that are exposed, then torque back up in one smooth action. We used a breaker bar to slack, then put the torque wrench on the extension to tighten. The oily ones under the rocker cover were just torqued. This practice gradually died out after the foreman retired, i think.
It was routine though, on some laboratory engines such as MWM and Petter to slacken and retighten head nuts, when i worked in the oil research industry.
I don't recall ever actually seeing this method required in any manual, and never applied to bolts, only studs and nuts.
jessejazza

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Head Torque Reply with quote

exbmc wrote:
I too was taught to slack and retorque headnuts, as Jim describes.
On the BMC A and B series, the head nuts are half exposed, and the rest under the rocker cover. The young lads were told by the foreman,on a 1st service, to slack (1/4 turn only) the nuts that are exposed, then torque back up in one smooth action. We used a breaker bar to slack, then put the torque wrench on the extension to tighten. The oily ones under the rocker cover were just torqued. This practice gradually died out after the foreman retired, i think.
It was routine though, on some laboratory engines such as MWM and Petter to slacken and retighten head nuts, when i worked in the oil research industry.
I don't recall ever actually seeing this method required in any manual, and never applied to bolts, only studs and nuts.

Why the slacken quarter turn? I'd thought that was to remove some of the 'settling' and then torque back up to a true reading. The point i was trying to make was that it doesn't seem necessary. On Reliant engines they easily take an extra 1/2 turn sometimes even a full turn - similar as you've mentioned "The oily ones under the rocker cover were just torqued". Due to the oil they didn't need slackening.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite simply. The torque needed to overcome friction (sticktion) and start a nut turning is usually greater than the torque needed to tighten it down to the correct figure. It gives a false impression that the nut is already tight enough.
The only way to tighten to the correct torque is from a slackened position.
Does it not always in manuals say "RE-tighten" rather than "tighten"? Does that not indicate loosening or backing off first?
Being of the "old school" when studs and nuts were the norm I always RE- tighten head nuts AND bolts after a suitable period to be sure.
Stretch bolts are a different matter, where the elastic period of the bolts is sufficient to maintain tension as gaskets etc. settle.
Jim.
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
ALSO if doing this on an OHV engine don't forget to recheck/set the tappets

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Julian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
ALSO if doing this on an OHV engine don't forget to recheck/set the tappets

Unless they're hydraulic Laughing

Julian.
exbmc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Head Torque Reply with quote

The 1/4 turn off a previously torqued nut, was usually enough to slacken it before retightening. This way has always worked for me, and i will continue to do so.On the BMC engines, the outer nuts, were painted, could be dirty, or even a bit rusty on a 500 miler, so a false reading could be had.
Now, in the light aircraft world, this method is not used much. The routine is to torque all the cylinder base nuts to spec then go round again in the correct order, but holding the torque on the wrench for 10 or 15 seconds, to ensure their is no more movement in the nut. There is no more tightening, after the engine is in service. No gasket there, only a big O-ring.
There are few aero engines with cylinder heads that come off, most are in assembly with the cylinder, so the base nuts are as critical as a head nut on vehicle engines.
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just notice what I posted as a tittle Laughing Laughing Embarassed
Have had a few sticky keys hehe

Have you been cylindered lately.
RUSTON

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Rolls Royce they advised us to mark the position of the head nuts and the cylinder head with Tippex etc, then slacken the nut's off a quarter turn. Then retorque them, making sure that the nuts were at least as tight as they were previously by ensuring that the marks were still at least in line or had prefferably tightened past them.

Pete.
BigJohn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Old Man taught me the torque up, slacken, retorque method, that was 40yrs ago, and he served his time pre war on Rolls Royce, Daimler and Minerva, so that was good enough for me. Laughing
jessejazza

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim.Walker wrote:
Quite simply. The torque needed to overcome friction (sticktion) and start a nut turning is usually greater than the torque needed to tighten it down to the correct figure. It gives a false impression that the nut is already tight enough.
The only way to tighten to the correct torque is from a slackened position.
Does it not always in manuals say "RE-tighten" rather than "tighten"? Does that not indicate loosening or backing off first?
Being of the "old school" when studs and nuts were the norm I always RE- tighten head nuts AND bolts after a suitable period to be sure.
Stretch bolts are a different matter, where the elastic period of the bolts is sufficient to maintain tension as gaskets etc. settle.
Jim.

I understand about the stiction. But on the aluminium heads with studded blocks i've worked on so far backing off first didn't seem worthwhile as the nuts were loose enough just to be tightened. I wondered if there was a specific reason for 1/4 turn as opposed to say a whole turn. A 1/4 turn is very little. Too much i would imagine risks unseating the gasket.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think "backing off" a 1/4 of a turn is very significant. As long as it is sufficient to remove the risk of "stiction" giving a false re-tightening torque.
Jim
Julian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread got me thinking, so I dug out the destructions for some ARP head bolts that I used a few years ago. (I really wanted studs, but that would make it impossible to remove the cylinder heads with the engine in the car without first winding them all out first - all 34 of them Sad )

Clearly lubrication of the threads is very important as ARP specify using either oil or thread lubricant on the underside of the bolt heads and washers and the threads. Also there is a table for recommended torques for optimum preload and there are two columns, one for 30-wt oil and one for ARP moly assembly lubricant, the difference is about 10% with the torque when using Moly lubricant being less.

Julian.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: