classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

what year is it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Nick.S.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: what year is it? Reply with quote

Hello, as the re-build on my austin a40 devon progresses, i am getting more annoyed by not knowing what year it was made Confused
i was hoping that some one would have a book or referance sheet that might be able to tell me the approximate year that it was built.
here are some details,

Chassis #57049
Engine #1G398405

Many thanks!
Nick.
exbmc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Dating Reply with quote

One old way of telling age, is through the glass. Not totally reliable now, on a car that could have had windows changed. Anyway, look at the Triplex badge on some side windows, and it will say toughened underneath. If you know what decade a car comes from, say the 50's, and there is a tiny dot under the G of toughened, then that glass come s from 1954. You can tell 1 to 9 with the dot, and if there is no dot, it's 1950 or 40 or whatever.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you remind us what it looks like again?

Very early cars had smaller headlamps, most Devons were floor change but late ones were on the column, like the Somerset. Some had gold dashboards, others a wood effect.

I no longer have any engine or chassis no. details for the '49 I had unfortunately, but I may still have some other paperwork somewhere from the Austin Counties club, I'll have a look in the morning.

If push comes to shove the BMIHT may be able to help.

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS sometimes components under the bonnet have date markings on them (eg the wiper motor and the regulator). Not an exact science as parts get swapped, but every little nugget of info can help build up a picture of what's going on Smile

RJ
Nick.S.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy i'll take a look at it. Mine is a floor change, with wood grain dashboard, it also has the side vent windows.

found the body number to if it helps, its #175418

Agian, Thanks Very Happy
Nick.
Nick.S.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the years of production for this model was '47 to '51. exbmc, there is a little dot under the T of toughened, does that mean its '51? Almost all the windows are the same.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think '51 is about right, my '49 had the gold painted dash.

PS I added in some nice pics of a two-door A40 Dorset to the site today, on this page: http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/a40-dorset.htm

RJ
exbmc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: year Reply with quote

That's right Nick, it's only an old trade way of telling when a car was built, but can be useful. You know it's not a '41, or a '61 so it must be '51. It only worked while Triplex glass was marked like that.
Nick.S.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats so cool Very Happy a bit cheaper than BMIHT too, i looked at them when i first got the car, but i decided to wait to see if it would run before investing to much money in it. speaking of running, i got the motor and transmission stuck together and on the frame, i put oil in it today. by cranking it over by hand there is about 10 pounds oil pressure! Smile
British heritage cars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick.S. wrote:
thats so cool Very Happy a bit cheaper than BMIHT too, i looked at them when i first got the car, but i decided to wait to see if it would run before investing to much money in it. speaking of running, i got the motor and transmission stuck together and on the frame, i put oil in it today. by cranking it over by hand there is about 10 pounds oil pressure! Smile

That's good news!
Very Happy pictures are always welcome!
So what's next on your "to do" list?

Kind regards,
Jonathan
Nick.S.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got it running this weekend, so next is to sort out the cooling system so i can run it for longer Smile
for this i have to make a brass casting for the water pump, the little brass cup that drives the carbon seal. i will try to remember to take pics of the pour. should be able to do it this coming weekend Very Happy
i also made a banjo fitting for the fuel pump intake side, so that i can fit plastic fuel line on it. i will post pics soon.
alangregory2448

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: what year is it? Reply with quote

Nick.S. wrote:
Hello, as the re-build on my austin a40 devon progresses, i am getting more annoyed by not knowing what year it was made Confused
i was hoping that some one would have a book or referance sheet that might be able to tell me the approximate year that it was built.
here are some details,

Chassis #57049
Engine #1G398405

Many thanks!
Nick.

I think you are short by one number on your chassis no. as my records all show that there were 6 numbers not 5 on the chassis numbers for A40 Devons. Assuming your first 3 numbers i.e. 570??? are correct my records of chassis numbers makes me speculate your A40 was built late 1949 or in the first half of 1950. I don't rely too much on engine numbers as many A40's have had engine swaps sometime during their life. However your engine number is shown by my records to have been also built around the same era as the chassis, even if it's not the original to your car (but it could be)
Nick.S.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its possible that i missed one, the tag is a little beat up and corroded.
thank you for looking it up Very Happy

i did the casting for the water pump yesterday, turned out really well. it was my first cored casting as well! Cool
i am using water bonded greensand that i made.
the furnace runs off of propane with an reil burner, it produces about 80,000 BTU's and right at the burn head about 3,000 degrees F.
The molten brass is around 1,800 F. so its lots of radiant heat to work around.
pics as promised
this is the mold box rammed and vented

opened with the pattern

pattern plate removed

pouring gates cut in

furnace rumbling away

molten brass Razz Very Happy

mold poured and cooling

shake out

before and after
British heritage cars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waauw what fanastic work!!
Can I orde the part? :p Laughing

Kind regards,
Jonathan
Nick.S.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Very Happy i suppose if you need some cast parts i can give it a go Smile i've got all the patterns now and thats what takes time to make.
i had decided to cast this part because the closest i could find to it was a whole new pump on fleabay for about 200 dollars! yikes! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: