classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Derbyshire WWII Airwrecks North American Aviation Sabres
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation
mistericeman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Derbyshire WWII Airwrecks North American Aviation Sabres Reply with quote

Here's some pictures of North American Aviation F-86F Mk IV Sabres, XD707 and XD730, 66 Squadron,That crashed on 22 Jul 1954 near to the top of Kinder scout.

"On exercise from Linton-on-Ouse Flying Officer Jim Horne and Flight Lieutenant Alan Green descended through low cloud to check ground position. It is thought that they collided whilst climbing to fly above Kinder Scout. Both aircraft clipped the top of the hill above Kinder Reservoir and spilled on to the Ashop Moor side of the hill, There were no survivors."

If you look closely at these next two ...you can just about make out the aircrafts ID number ...XD-730

This wheel did have a tyre on it but most seems to have been cut away by souvenier hunters

Tail section

Engine

I've spent a fair amount of time wandering the hills in search of some of these wrecks and NEVER fail to be amazed by the feeling on sadness and loss for those that gave everything without question for the good of us all .
Greg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a shame.
Amazed at the condition of some of the metal after all those years,
very interesting pictures.
exbmc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: air crash Reply with quote

Quite amazing really, the classic idea of these old crash sites, is a big impact hole, with some metal parts in and around it. This one looks as if debris has been scattered about on the grass. There appears to be some bare earth by one of the wing sections, i wonder if that is still the result of fuel contamination from all those years ago?
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea that sites quite like these existed.
I must admit I had the thought that the metal parts look quite fresh - after 55 years I'd have expected more plant growth in & around them.
Are these site 'protected' in any manner?
RUSTON

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many aircraft wrecks up in the 'Dark Peak' and a lot of them are reasonably accessible by foot. A few however do remain much as they crashed as access is very difficult, especially for souvenier hunter's to try and carry large lumps of aicraft away with them.
Most of the accident's were due to navigational error, they encountered the foggy conditions that frequent the area and did not allow for the difference in height that suddenly occours after crossing the flat Cheshire Plain.

Pete.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: