classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1937 Morris 8 - dry seized engine.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Bob T

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,
well done. I also today managed to fire up my car after several weeks of trying.
I bought a car 'in bits' but the engine had been rebuilt about 12 years ago and never used. Sadly someone had tried to force the engine and bent the inlet valves which had stuck in the guides. I have now replaced the valves reconditioned the dizzy which was also stuck in the head, unstuck the carb and pump both of which had varnish in them instead of petrol !!
And today it burst into life and sounds great. It is a very satisfying feeling.

By the way does anyone know what compression readings I should be getting ?

Keep us posted.
Bob
welder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, thanks for your words of encouragement, you're right, it is a satisfying feeling! My congratulations to you on a similar achievement Smile I've searched through the two books that I have on the Morris 8 and can't find any reference to compression pressures but feel that with the compression ratio at a lowly 5.8:1 it's not going to be terribly high. Some is enough, maybe Question

Jens, I thank you too for your interest and for sharing my excitement. It's getting to the point where I feel that if I fail in my intentions to get my Son to his wedding in the car, I shall have let not just him down but several members of this cracking forum Shocked

I shall indeed keep you posted, just hope that my ramblings don't get mistaken for some sort of Blog.

Ian
welder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collected recored and refurbished radiator from Ready Rads this afternoon and they've done a splendid job. Bead blasted all but the new core and painted the entirety in a heat resistant satin black finish. It looks new but 75 years old if that makes any sense. Shall spend some internet time sourcing suitable hoses this weekend.

I may have to make some adaptors as both hose stubs on the radiator are 38mm dia. and both on the engine, a Series E, are 44mm dia.

These things are sent to try us. I shall opt for an all male jury.

Ian
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When fitting radiator hoses to missmatched plumbing, on several occasions I have used a narrow slice of hose that will fit over over the smaller diameter pipe. That then becomes a packing sleeve and allows the larger diameter hose from the other end to slide over it. Carefully position the hose clamps and all should be well. I have never had any problems with this fix.
welder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dane, thanks for that. I'd sort of been thinking along similar lines. I've found "corrugated" flexible hosing to suit the larger of the sizes I mentioned on eBay so I'll give your notion a go.

If that doesn't work I could make two sleeve adaptors, one end taking the smaller diameter (assuming I can find some "corrugated" hose to suit) and the other end taking the larger size. I have several offcuts of stainless steel tubing in the "useful" bin at work.

I could leave some shiny tubing on display and use some rather posh stainless hose clamps I've seen. Blimey, showing off now!

Have a great weekend.

Ian
welder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awoke this morning fired with enthusiasm and determined to bite the bullet and refit radiator and sort out hoses.

Couldn't find the bullet anywhere so, teeth intact, got on with fitting and plumbing radiator. Now, fitting the chrome grill shell back onto the rad, that's a laugh innit? Whoever designed those fiddly, square-headed location screws and chose to place them where they are was qualified to perform keyhole surgery, assuming that it had been invented in 1937. A cranked magneto spanner was pressed into service and it worked a treat. Eventually.

Radiator, bracing bars and bonnet refitted it's looking like a car once more. Bottom hose was cut from the length of corrugated hose bought from eBay and once I'd filed (ground!) the casting imperfections from the elbow which bolts to the block all fitted rather well. Top hose is mix of a piece of hose found in Pandora's Box, a stepped stainless steel adaptor cut, shut and TIG welded to suit, and a piece of aforementioned corrugated hose. Several shiny stainless Jubilee clips were deployed and look rather grand.

System filled with blue antifreeze/water mix, engine run up to temperature and no leaks. Very Happy Very Happy

As an aside, Aldi are currently offering air compessors with all sorts of useful accessories and air tools at very attractive prices. I now own quite a lot of this stuff. I feel a full respray coming on. Botox too.

Ian
welder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove the Old Morris today for the first time in two decades. Reversed from the garage until I hit the garden furniture. Note to self..fix the brakes. Drove back into garage remembering that the handbrake still works, no drama.

Left it running while I richened the mixture a bit, engine sounding happy, stood back to survey the source of my joy and it ran out of petrol. Doh!

Still grinning though.

Ian
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming along nicely!

I might have to visit Aldi to see these compressors.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its worth keeping an eye on what Aldi have; a couple of years ago they were selling 400 piece O ring kits for £2.99 Very Happy

I guess they must buy "overstock" cheaply

Dave
Bob T

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,
How is the rack coming on? Do you have the correct bumper irons, if not there is a pair on ebay.
Cheers
Bob
welder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob T wrote:
Ian,
How is the rack coming on? Do you have the correct bumper irons, if not there is a pair on ebay.
Cheers
Bob

Hi Bob, yes I have the correct bumper irons to accept a luggage rack, thanks, just no rack! I missed that one you mentioned to me on eBay, it was sold "off the books" so to speak. Oh well.

Sorting out some brakes this coming weekend. I recently bought complete front and rear axle assemblies as spares and shall mix and match the best combination of wheel cylinders and shoes to get things stopping. Got spare, new, brake linings with the car 30 years ago, rivets too. Also a set of wheel cylinder and master cylinder overhaul rubbers etc, so I'm armed for the task.

Ian
welder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another question Shocked . As I shall need to think about MOT test at some point do I need to have a windscreen washer? And if so has anyone undertaken this task? My car has never been fitted with such and if I don't need one then I don't want one.

Also, the headlamp dipping arrangement is decidedly odd in that the offside headlamp has a solenoid thingy which apparently tilts the entire reflector between dip and main beam, while the nearside one has a single filament bulb which seems to be of a set focus. Is this currently acceptable for MOT? If not what do I need to be sorting out, please?

Ian
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the screen opens (do they on M8s?), then a washer isn't required as far as I recall. Certainly I don't have one on the pre-war Minor.

I've a feeling the solenoid dipping lamp arrangement may no longer be legal, but I've not been through this myself, someone else will know for sure Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian

You don't need windscreen washers as the M8 screen opens, if it didn't they would have to be retrospectively fitted.

The dip and switch arrangement (one lamp dips the other goes out) won't get through an MOT,both headlamps have to have a dip and main beam, its perfectly acceptable to use the solenoid mechanical dipping arrangement, in which case you need to get hold of a second unit ( I may have a spare one) or as many 8 owners do, swap the headlamps for more modern dual filament units.

Dave

Last edited by ukdave2002 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob T

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, there are loads of posts on this sunject on the Morris register forum and their 8mvs email system.
No you don't need washers. There is a split in opinion about the dipping headlight. My garage has passed it twice with this arrangement, however legal or not having one light that goes off on dip is a bit dangerous and so I have wired mine for both lights to stay on.
To be fair they are so dim that if you left them on full beam all the time it wouldn't matter !!!
Cheers
Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: