classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Vintage car upholsery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
fiatguy23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Vintage car upholsery Reply with quote

Has anyone ever tackled doing their own upholsery on their project car? How hard is it to do? I am looking to do the interior of my 1923 Fiat 501 tourer myself, basic bench seats with door trims will be about as hard as it gets. I'll leave the canvas top to the proffessionals though Razz

Any tips or advice?
roverdriver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I did our Model A Ford many many years ago, but being a sedan, it had cloth upholstery. I would balk at tackling leather unless I had access (and a bit of practice) with an industrial sewing machine.
Kelsham

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: car upholstery Reply with quote

I have just purchased an industrial sewing machine to make new seats for my BSA fourwheeler 1931.

I intend to make a bench seat and new hood. Years ago when I made seats for my 1932 BSA three wheeler. I used a domestic machine and had trouble stitching through the layers of material.

I still use the seats 30 years later.

If you look on You tube under young guns there are some good tutorials.

I expect the hood to be an easier project than the seats. It is a fairly simple construction on the BSA.

Regards Kels.
fiatguy23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a "vintage" sewing machine a while back from a garage sale for $30 AUD. It was an old one from the 1950s and is really sturdy and in really good condition! I have already tried it and it went through two layers of vinyl and a layer of foam with ease. I still may upgrade the needle to a stronger one though. Its smallest stitch count is 7 stitches per inch, not as small as professional jobs but it should still do the job

I have haunted youtube to death about this but I shall look young guns up, thankyou! Smile

Is there a special type of thread that has to be used? From what I've see it seems to be quite a heavy grade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: