classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Vintage Headlights
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
fiatguy23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Vintage Headlights Reply with quote

Hi all, Lately I've been investigating and restoring the original lighting equipment for my 1923 Fiat, and, to my amazement, they have been modified to suit different bulbs! Below is a scan from the manual showing the original style bulbs used as well as how it all comes to bits.

What they have actually done is used part of the original bulb and used it to house common single-filament bulbs, as shown below.

This is great! Except for one thing. When it is assembled in the light assembly, the bulb sticks out too far, and when it is plugged in it makes for a real dull beam from the light.

^^ (Surround has been chromed in this pic)

^^ (Thats the original lense, with its 90-year-old nickelled surface still shining well!)

The above photo shows how far it actually sticks out in the lense, this actually makes a big dark circle (blind spot) in the centre of the beam too!

I've got an idea or two on how to modify this again to make the bulb sit lower/ further back but I though it might interest a few of you out there. Just goes to show how much thought goes into something as simple as a light! Rolling Eyes
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1938 P2 has the Lucas manual focus headlamps and the bulbholder slides in or out the reflector and is reclamped to eliminate the black spot/hole. Works very well but at 36w power is somewhat feeble!

These had single filament bulb in as on DIP ithey went out and a pass (spot) lamp came on. I converted to double filament which does work reasonably well but Dazzle was never a real issue with the yellowed silver plate reflectors
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If those bulb's are 6v i think somewhere i have some new one's.
fiatguy23

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be very handy actually, quite a clever idea. I have been thinking off different ways to mount these bulbs (which are actually 12volt 18watts) and have stumbled upon a simple solution that may or may not work. It involves small diameter heater hose but I'm not too sure if it will be able to withstand the heat!

It happened to be exactly the right diameter inside and out, I'm just not sure if the temperature of the bulb will be too much for the hose to handle and result in melted rubber running down the lense... Maybe someone on here can help me out??

I would have easily machined sonething up for this if I had a lathe but of coarse, I don't! Sad
P3steve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt have thought that there would be enough heat to damage the hose after all they often pass over hot areas in the engine bay ok with water in them but I cant see a bulb generating that much heat, how about setting one up to be on for a few hours out of the vehicle and keep an eye on it and feel how warm its getting from time to time.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works well, but the rubber hose doesn't last long, you could always try a bit of silicone hose - it's supposed to stand heat better than ordinary rubber, though I've never had occasion to try it myself.
fiatguy23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both good points there. I was actually planning to set it up inside and keep an eye on it and see how it went, I reckon it should be fine though.
I have a different setup in mind now however, I realised that the porcelane piece and its surround that puts pressure on the globe is too big to fit inside the hose Sad I just have to rob from a modern cars tail lamp at some stage Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: