classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Bad Vibrations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger asked:
Quote:
One question,
Do you have to prepack the grease nipples before you fit them.

& Mike replied:
Yes Roger. they are very small & sensitive & it's important that they are well lubricated before use.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
I think I should have put a few more Wink In my last post!!

I know I do some dumb things, but substituting lubricant with adhesive is not one of them.........yet Very Happy

Dave

Dave!
You WERE a little late for April 1st! Very Happy
I must admit My ghast was a bit flabbered to start with, but then I counted the smileys!
Nice one! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
As long as you do not receive compensation claims for mis-leading advice! Wink
Jim.
Julian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, this one is on my ERF E12, fundamentally exactly the same but larger. It's interesting how the construction of it changes and you obviously need the spanners to get it apart. This is old now, I bet modern trucks have some other design. I bet the grease facility has been deleted in favour of sealed for life - probably not got around to experimenting with the superglue yet Smile

Julian.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julian,
There are many types of universal joints, but the type we commonly call "Hardy Spicer" are really modernisations of the Hookes Joint used in machinery in mills etc., long before motor vehicles were invented.
Though assembled differently, your pictures show just another variation adapted for greater torue/power transmission and easier overhaul etc.
I do not know whether anything better has been invented for modern commercial vehicles, but I would bet that these will be around for as long as power needs to be transmitted by shafts through a minimal angle.
Jim.
Julian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim.Walker wrote:
Julian,
There are many types of universal joints, but the type we commonly call "Hardy Spicer" are really modernisations of the Hookes Joint used in machinery in mills etc., long before motor vehicles were invented.
Though assembled differently, your pictures show just another variation adapted for greater torue/power transmission and easier overhaul etc.
I do not know whether anything better has been invented for modern commercial vehicles, but I would bet that these will be around for as long as power needs to be transmitted by shafts through a minimal angle.
Jim.

I've just been googling 'hookes joint,' very interesting as I had heard that name but never made the connection before.

That joint on my lorry actually has 'Hardy Spicer' embossed on it - I guess it's a company like Jubilee (clip) and Hoover.

Julian.

Julian.
ecurie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a vibration problem with my '79 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow.
From 45mph up the car starts vibrating through the steering wheel, seats, etc... It makes no difference if I apply power or not.

I had all wheels balanced by a competent tyre fitter, changed the UJ's on the driveshafts and swapped the driveshafts (not their housings) as this often cures this problem on a Shadow. But no result.

I haven't checked the UJ's on the propshaft, but there is a good chance they have been neglected in the past (the ones on the driveshafts were rusty brown inside). Could this cause this vibration, evenn when not aplying power ?
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the needle rollers can disappear completely by rusting and wearing away. A Hardy Spicer joint will never centre itself or the prop. shaft without the needle rollers so the vibration becomes permanent.
For Julian:- The Hooke's Joint had no needle rollers and was really quite crude with only two plain yokes and a solid spider. It took firms like Hardy Spicer to refine them and reap the profits.
I would bet Mr Hooke did not make a fortune for his invention!
Jim.

Last edited by Jim.Walker on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Julian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecurie wrote:
I have a vibration problem with my '79 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow.
From 45mph up the car starts vibrating through the steering wheel, seats, etc... It makes no difference if I apply power or not.

?

Maybe it's not drive train related. Have you considered the possibility that it may be some form of motion or shimmy within the suspension?

I had a Capri once that did just that, it turned out to be the inner bushes of the front track control arms that had gone soft leading to a shimmy in the suspension/steering.

Julian.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: