classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Card/paper pancake filter for HS2 -- MG?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
jessejazza

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Card/paper pancake filter for HS2 -- MG? Reply with quote

I believe at one stage MG or mini did a pancake filter which took a paper air filter similar to a K&N in looks.

I've looked on the MGOC and Moss websites but can't see anything. Anyone help?

I have an old 50s three wheeler that i want to put an air filter on but don't like K&N or the cheaper foam ones (i do wonder how good these are).

thanks
exbmc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: air filter Reply with quote

There was a pancake filter about, i think they were fitted on early model Sprites and maybe Midgets. I recall a few Mini Coopers having them on. You had to order two different ones, as one had a stub for the crankcase breather pipe. Now i am sure they had no replaceable element, you could not dismantle them. They were taken off right at the start of a service, and thrown in the soak tank. The one with the breather would be quite messy. Frankly, as i recall, they just made the vehicle "sound" faster, and also were prone to carb ice forming, as no heat was available. I don't recall who manufactured them, but Vokes made the larger versions found on the Riley Riviera. That was a sort of limited edition of the 4/68 with an MGA spec engine i think.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are Vokes filters:

They come up for sale on Ebay occasionally but they're not cheap at £40-ish each.
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that you could buy similar ones new off the shelf, I did so in the 90's, and fitted one to my mini and you could open it up and replace the element, though I do not remember what was the element made of!!!

Do not know whether I threw it away or if its still somewhere in the garage, it was a chrome one exactly like those in the previous post photo.
Will have a rummage through this weekend.
jessejazza

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob2 wrote:
I remember that you could buy similar ones new off the shelf, I did so in the 90's, and fitted one to my mini and you could open it up and replace the element, though I do not remember what was the element made of!!!

Do not know whether I threw it away or if its still somewhere in the garage, it was a chrome one exactly like those in the previous post photo.
Will have a rummage through this weekend.

Thanks for your replies folks. I would be grateful if you can spare the time.
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jessejazza, did not go last wkend, but will go down there this wkend, cause it could be in a lockup near my mum's house, not that it will be any good to you if I find it since I am in Malta.
Not to mention this lockup is quite damp so it might have disintegrated by now as from what I recall it was very thin!! Very Happy
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedograph also did pancake filters to fit SU carbs.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked for it but did not succeed, probably got thrown away in a clear out some time ago but I might have given it to someone else too since I do not usually throw away such things!! Confused
jessejazza

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies - success at last. The Herald 948 GFE1037 filter [twin carb HS2] - is a paper filter sandwiched between two circular plates as a complete unit £7 which is just what i was looking for. I think it was on early Midgets as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: