classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris 8 tank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Morris 8 tank Reply with quote

I was reading the thread with the Alvis tank and thought I will chuck my three hapence worth in.
I kept smelling petrol in the garage and eventualy realised it was a bit wet under the rear of the Morris. I drained the tank and removed it to find the cowboy before had painted over the corrosion with hamerite type paint. It had eventually failed - great!

I stripped off all the parts on the tank and found my heat gun, put it on the low setting and started to warm the tank to dry it out. When the tank was nicely warm all over I left the gun running for another half hour. I then cleaned all the paint and rust off.

I decided to put a soldered patch on the tank as this was possible to do in 1936. Whilst feeding the cats I looked at the tin and I had my patch. A pot of flux and some large bore solder came on handy. Being careful where the flux goes will determine how neat the job is and when the patch was on there still 2 small leaks. A pab of solder on the 2 small holes did the trick and a back up of Petseal made sure.

A lick of paint and back it went into the car. This was 2 months ago and no petrol under the car.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work - I too have used soft solder (applied with a big heavy copper soldering iron heated well away) to fill up these types of pinholes.

I doubt the Hammerite was actually used to fill up holes - its just no good at stopping corrosion in existing pits so it just carried on.

Its best to use a good zinc chromate promer with pleant of coats of enamel
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Jason

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work nic.....I couldn't repair the original tank off the Alvis as it was completely rotten, my fingers went straight through it when I was removing it Laughing

what did you paint yours with?.....I've given mine 2 coats of stonechip so far.

jason
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work with the tank Nic.
I have given mine 2 coats of red oxide and 2 coats of satin black enamel!!
Ohh forgot 1 coat of stone guard in between the coats
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Morris tank Reply with quote

Hammerite will seal small holes in a petrol tank but only for a while (selling the car). Anyway I used a heat gun to solder the patches and I used Red Oxide to prime it and then I gave it a coat of Rustoleum, it is the same solvent base as Hammerite but it seems to go on a lot easier and goes a lot further. I am not too worried about corrosion now as it does not go out in the wet.

I find a cup of tea is a must half way through painting the tank.
NONORT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Soldering tanks Reply with quote

Hi Just a piece of usful info picked up years ago. Use Tipex correction fluid to stop solder running everywhere. Paint a barrier line where you want the solder to stop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: