classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

hell drivers Dodges
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
62rebel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: hell drivers Dodges Reply with quote

i watched this film again the other night and was drawn in by those Dodge lorries.... these were the KEW's, if i'm right? interesting plot, decent crew of actors, and those Dodges.... were they diesels, and were they equipped with roots-type scavengers? i ask, because several times during the film, when the prinicipals are accelerating and let off, i hear a distinct whine like a supercharger or turbo on the over-run.
maybe i'm hearing something else, possibly an air compressor?

interesting sidenote: nowhere in the film is there a PC..... i would have thought some of those automobile drivers would have made a complaint about a clearly marked company lorry running them off the road!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup Kew-built Dodges, some came with diesel engines, while proper ones had Chrysler petrol straight-sixes Smile Neither had a s/c on it though, probably some iffy over-dubbing going on (in addition to sped-up film).

Great film !

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
losmorales

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: hell drivers Dodges Reply with quote

62rebel wrote:
i watched this film again the other night and was drawn in by those Dodge lorries.... these were the KEW's, if i'm right? interesting plot, decent crew of actors, and those Dodges.... were they diesels, and were they equipped with roots-type scavengers? i ask, because several times during the film, when the prinicipals are accelerating and let off, i hear a distinct whine like a supercharger or turbo on the over-run.
maybe i'm hearing something else, possibly an air compressor?

interesting sidenote: nowhere in the film is there a PC..... i would have thought some of those automobile drivers would have made a complaint about a clearly marked company lorry running them off the road!

The Dodge Kew's in the film had Perkins R6 Diesel engines and some possibly had P6 engines.
These engines have a vacuum controlled governor, and on the inlet manifold is a butterfly connected to the accelerator pedal.
The whistling sound is created when the throttle butterfly is closed or partially closed creating a vacuum in the inlet manifold, as there is a small amount of air at high velocity being sucked pass the pitot tube at the top of the manifold, this tube is connected by a steel pipe to the injection pump governor diaphragm.

Throttle closed for idle speed, throttle wide open for max speed, 2400rpm approx.
RUSTON

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: hell drivers Dodges Reply with quote

losmorales wrote:

Throttle closed for idle speed, throttle wide open for max speed, 2400rpm approx.

Until the diapraghm split and then things got 'interesting' to put it mildly! Embarassed

Pete.
losmorales

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: hell drivers Dodges Reply with quote

RUSTON wrote:
losmorales wrote:

Until the diapraghm split and then things got 'interesting' to put it mildly! Embarassed

Pete.

Hi Pete, Exactly, run away time and not just for the engine, especially with a broken stop cable.

Bill
Mog

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did hear of a stationary engine that had been cleaned with thinners or "trico. "
It was in the West Indies, bits went for miles after "X" rpm.
RUSTON

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was an apprentice HGV mechanic in the 1960's the coal merchant in the yard next to our garage had one of the early Bedford TK's with the four pot diesel engine. He came running into our workshop one day saying that the engine wouldn't turn off, he had fired it up and the governor diapraghm had presumably split and it started screaming its head off. He had hit the pump with a coal hammer, smashing the pump casing, and then smashed all the injector pipes as well but the engine was now running on oil whipped up by the crankshaft! Our foreman calmly covered the air inlet with rag, once it was starved of oxygen then it stopped much like a Human Being would ha ha! Luckily no internal damage was done but I bet there wasn't a deal of carbon left inside it. Blocking the exhaust should acheive much the same result, but panic sets in and common sense goes out of the window. Confused

Pete.
gerry snelling

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: hell drivers dodges Reply with quote

those dodges belonged to a firn called drinkwaters a sand and gravel firm in bushy in hertfordshire. the bigest part of there fleet were o type bedfords. i drove for them in the sixtes regards gerry snelling
62rebel

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found the lorries fascinating; so compact compared to even OUR medium duty trucks. the film itself was a relief from endless explosions, needless gunplay and anachronistic social apology..... all the characters fit the scenes, nobody whipped out a tommygun and Stanley Baker sorted it out in the end.
D4B

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

62rebel wrote:
i found the lorries fascinating; so compact compared to even OUR medium duty trucks. the film itself was a relief from endless explosions, needless gunplay and anachronistic social apology..... all the characters fit the scenes, nobody whipped out a tommygun and Stanley Baker sorted it out in the end.

Hi 62rebel, where can I get a copy?

Thanks Steve
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4B wrote:
62rebel wrote:

Hi 62rebel, where can I get a copy?

Thanks Steve

Amazon has it:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000Z0IBG/cheapdealuk-21

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
D4B

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick,

but too expensive !! Is this the same but without frills?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hell-Drivers-DVD/dp/B000MM0XYE/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1336073559&sr=1-1
62rebel

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaps, i was able to watch the whole film on Youtube... matter of fact, i watched "Went the Day Well?" the other evening on YT as well, and "Robbery" just last night, for FREE....
i like British film..... does it show?
34HF90

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents- Great nostalgia and just wanted to say thanks for the thread, most informative. Hell Drivers- one of my favorite fims.
I had wondered about the Perkins engines fitted to the Kews. In one shot you catch sight of an air cleaner that is indicative of Perkins- nice to hear it confirmed.
It's mentioned that they carry 'ten tons'- was that correct? I also believe that Kews are extremely rare now. Are there any left in the UK?

Wilfred Lawson's driving test has to be a classic, and good advice give too: 'these trucks are light on the trigger. No need to fight them the way you're doing'. Sound driving advice Wink
losmorales

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Hell Drivers Reply with quote

Morris Martin wrote:
Gents- Great nostalgia and just wanted to say thanks for the thread, most informative. Hell Drivers- one of my favorite fims.
I had wondered about the Perkins engines fitted to the Kews. In one shot you catch sight of an air cleaner that is indicative of Perkins- nice to hear it confirmed.
It's mentioned that they carry 'ten tons'- was that correct? I also believe that Kews are extremely rare now. Are there any left in the UK?

Wilfred Lawson's driving test has to be a classic, and good advice give too: 'these trucks are light on the trigger. No need to fight them the way you're doing'. Sound driving advice Wink

I watched it last night on You tube, great to hear those Perkins Aeroflow Diesels again.
The last time i saw it was at the cinema in Manchester when I was 16 !!
The tester was William Hartnell, later to become the first Doctor Who.
You can see the Perkins logo plate on the cylinder head cover at the beginning of the film and also the oil bath air filter but you need to be really quick to see it.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: