classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

dynamo to alternator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: dynamo to alternator Reply with quote

I have managed to get an A Plus Ital engine (brand new) for the 1300 coupe but the block is not drilled to take the dynamo rear bracket. How do I convert the wiring to alternator.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get proper plug from Vehicle Wiring for alternator end and at regulator connect the D wire to the Double spade with the B cable on it and removed the F cable and the WL cable and joint together either by double male spade or connector block or solder but insulate tape the 2.

You can leave the box in place.

If alternator is high output you will need main heavier cable to solonoid from alternator and disconnect the D cable at reg box as will be dead/defunct B cable will stay live to feed the others that will connected there
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
welshrover

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
im assuming your coupe was run by dynamo with control box /regulator.here goes=

the thick wire on the D terminal on the dynamo goes to D on the control box .move that wire to the A terminal on the regulator.
then move the warning light wire which is the other thinner wire on the dynamo which is F on the regulator to terminal D on the regulator ,you should have a spare terminal on your alternator ,the other big one. make up a wire to fit that and put it on the battery live, or live side of the starter solonoid. use the same guage wire (thick) some cars wont charge with this extra wire and some will ,my wolseley 1500 didnt need the extra wire and my rover p4 did. so trial and error on that one .

talking of marina's my grandfathers first car was a 1974 1.8 super deluxe ,in midnight blue, it went from one end of the country to the other on holidays and to work ,which was 30 miles each way .he had it for years the only problems were a broken leaf spring ,a clutch and a new fuel tank .it never broke down on the side of the road and always got him and the family home so they werent that bad .then my mum learned to drive in the late seventies and she had one too, in orange that to was a 1974 1.8 super deluxe ,same again no problems whatsoever a part from rust around the headlights and she had hers for 5 years .then i had one in the mid eightys mine was a 575 van ,i fitted a 2.0 litre ital estate engine with a 1700 gearbox and a morris oxford diff. 100 mph easily i was then looking into fitting a montego turbo engine in it but i sold it before i got the chance ,in the late eightys. then ive had numerous classics till present, i wish i could find my grand fathers old marina as its the car i started this long road of tinkering on .i was 8 years old when i stripped the su carb down on it ,while my grandfather looked on, he was a mechanic and learned me everything i know today. he tought me if something doesnt work dont give up and try another way and it has stuck with me till now ,and im 43 .anyway i hope this helps
craig Very Happy
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys...will give it a go at the weekend Cool
welshrover

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi marina estate i found this on ebay thought it might of use
craig
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/L-K-Genuine-Classic-Morris-Marina-Estate-Rear-Bumper-/310400909655?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4845560157
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: